Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ad.yieldmanager malware [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try spywareblaster as that has a blocking element within it

[*]SpywareBlaster Download and then run. Update and then select enable all protection

Advertisements

Man from Uncle

Man from Uncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) Essexboy,

I already have Spywareblaster on the PC. I download updates regularly.....however, afterwhich I alway close the application. Am I supposed to leave that window open and running the background? Always?!

I opened Spywareblaster and left it in the background, revisted the Yahoo! pages, and while the error message comes up less frequently....it still pops up. I closed spywareblaster and repeated; seemed like same result.

1. Does Spywareblaster application always need to be open/active?
2. What's next?

Man From Uncle

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
This is not supposed to be this hard :)

No spywareblaster just sits on your system and does not need to be active to work

Can you select Tools
Internet Options '
Privacy Tab
Then move the cookie slider to High

If that works then reduce the slider by one level to medium high

Man from Uncle

Man from Uncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) Uh..slider? What slider?

I know this is not supposed to be this hard, but aren't I giving you a good discussion for when the Geeks To Go get around the virtual water cooler / Tea vending machine?

Anyway, as you can see by the attached, there is no slider on the privacy tab, under tool on Internet Options. Maybe I missed a step....?

I appreciate your continued dedication....

MfU

Attached Files

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Ahh that is because you are set to custom settings. On the middle right select default and the slider should appear

Man from Uncle

Man from Uncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) Nope. Still no impact. Changed setting to default, slid to HIGH, revisted Yahoo! and the message popped up right away.

Okay, I'm stretching here, but what about all the Yahoo! stuff on the PC itself. I have three other PC's in the house and none have these applications installed (see attached).

I've uninstalled them all, need to reboot, scrub the registry with CCleaner and I'll let you know. Does that even seem feasible? What would be in these Yahoo! tools??????

MfU

Attached Files

Edited by Man from Uncle, 24 May 2008 - 08:53 AM.

Man from Uncle

Man from Uncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
No....that all did not have any impact either. same message still pops up. Note:

1. Yahoo!'s new page format take a long time to load, so it offers me option to go back to classic format, which comes up right away
2. GeekstoGo page makes me log in SEVERAL times before I get the page that displays MY POSTS.....

Either of those two clues help?

- MfU

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Well it is definitely related to the Yahoo servers as there are a lot of frustrated Yahoo users out there - I have just gone through 15 pages of complaints. No response from Yahoo though. OK lets try this (.. by the way the water cooler is getting warm water in it now :) )

Right click the "Spybot Search + Destroy icon" and select IE Resident then tick "Block all bad sites silently". That way the blocking continues but the notices don't.

Let me know how that goes. If it works I may make it a standard fix :)

Man from Uncle

Man from Uncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
:) That's it my friend....I suspect its still there, but SpyBot is dealing with it so I don't have to!

Brilliant!

Thanks for all your help and patience. Make the lads at Geeks To Go buy you a pint on me!

Cheers,

Man From Uncle

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
My pleasure. It has been narrowed down to the Yahoo servers. But rest assured nothing is getting on your system it is now being blocked silently :)

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.