Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low Disk Space in OS (C:) drive, HELP ME!

• Please log in to reply

LC211

LC211

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So recently I noticed this box that appears and tells me that I have low disk space in my C: drive. I have not downloaded anything big, or any files within the past 3 months or so. I really don't understand why it says this. So I do what it says, I clean up my files on the computer. I also deleted all of my documents -- trying to allow for space. This has yet to do anything or make any sort of impact to my C: drive. It is ridiculously annoying because I keep trying things, but nothing works. I'm thinking I may need to restore my whole hard drive. Any suggestions? Has this occurred to anyone else? I am so confused. I can't save anything to my computer and it's killing me! Please help me!! :) I would appreciate it!!! :)

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Well I have 2 suggestions.

the first is to use our recommend file cleaning utility, ATF (see below)

The next would be to use Windows disk visualizer: WinDirStat
The free, open-source utility WinDirStat displays your disk usage in a color-coded map that shows what file types and folders take up the most space on your hard drive.

More info on this can be found here

Using ATF Cleaner on Windows

If you haven't already downloaded ATF Cleaner, you can download it from HERE.

Once you have it downloaded, run it and you will see a window similar to the following:
(Please note that only on XP and Vista machines with it enabled will the Prefetch option not be grayed out)

Posted Image

Now click on the Select All checkbox so that every checkbox listed is filled in with a checkmark.
(You can uncheck any of the items you don't want to have cleaned)

Posted Image

Now click the Empty Selected button. It will take less then a minute and you will receive a window stating that the cleaning is done and how much space was freed up.

Posted Image

That's all there is to it! :)