Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

changing bit rate? when transferring video from camera

• Please log in to reply

samh30

samh30

• Pip
  • 3 posts
hi. This is probably a really simple one for you guys, but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I have a Canon Ixus 40 which I sometimes use to take small video clips. However, when I connect my camera to the computer either via external memory card reader or usb cable, it will only play in quicktime. If i try to play it in windows media player or anything else, it is mega speeded up. I borrowed my neighbours Canon Ixus 70 which is identical in the menu section to see if we had it set up the same, as when I transfer her video to my computer, hers plays back fine in my windows media player. We did have it the same (standard, 30 fps, 640 resolution). Everything else in the menu seems identical too between the 2 cameras, but as I say, if i transfer new video from hers to my computer exactly the same way with mine, hers ends up fine but mine too fast. When I hover over the video icons, hers says 708kbps, yet mine only says 88kbps, so I am presuming it is to do with this bit rate, but I have no idea how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
the only thing I can think of is to connect via usb, then go to device manager and uninstall camera. then disconnect camera and reboot. reconnect and let it reinstall.

samh30

samh30

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
ok i will try this, thanks

max-a-million

max-a-million

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi sounds as though its something in the setup of the camera, as if you plugged in the exact same camera, the computer will use the exact same drivers, meaning that everything else will be the same.

you must have changed some sort of setting to do with video on your camera itself, have a look around and compare them, you might find you are require a .mov file instead of a .avi or whatever.

hope thats helps

max-a-million