Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

I've decided to redo my computer...

• Please log in to reply

we_will_become_silhouettes

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I think that the main reason my computer was having problems is because when I tried to restore my computer, I kept getting errors. So, I have decided to start from scratch, that is erase my harddrive and start over again. The only thing is that I don't want to go through the same thing again...my computer froze or would just restart. The thing is that I don't know if I was doing it right the first time. I have windows 98 SE installed, and Windows XP upgrade. So when I tried with the xp disc, it gave me a message stating that I would not be able to format the harddrive because I had a newer version installed (Service Pack 2 is installed). So I tried with the windows 98 disc and formatted it that way, but with errors. So can someone please help me or point me to the right direction with this, I'd really appreciate it.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
formatted it with errors...what errors?

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

formatted it with errors...what errors?

View Post

Well, when I try to install software and it goes through the system folder, it can't install certain files, which makes the software not work right. I think that some of the files might have been corrupted during the installation of Windows 98.