Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Keyborad Serial Port not working after installing new memory

• Please log in to reply

bsathyme

bsathyme

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I upgraded to 2 gigs of memory - Actually it reads 1.98 - I ORIGINALLY last year had 512 - bought another card - to 1 gig although it read .98 - and then today installed 2 new ones - I have to install in pairs - to 1.98
I heard some strange beeping had trouble booting at first - but obviously have and found that the Keyboard when plugged in was the problem - SO I am NOW using a spare USB keyboard - BUT I NEED all my USB ports - and conflicts arise when I use the front USB ports as I am using now to type this - I can't see what the problem is - ANY IDEAS?
I'm running Windows XP SP2
It's a computer that was made - so it's not a Dell or anything - in Jan of 2004
The new memory IS THE EXACT same model - make and type as the other 2 - except of course different years - Kingston DDR PC3200 400MHZ - I NOW have 4 - 512's
Pentium 4 CPU 2.60GHz
When I unplug THIS USB Keyboard - under device manager it shows NO keyboard
Any help would be greatly appreciated - Thx

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Buy a USB PCI Card which will give you four more USB ports on the back of the computer. Some come with Firewire capabilities as well. Then just plug the keyboard into one of those. It sounds like either your keyboard that plugs into the purple hole is defunct, or the purple hole itself is defunct.