Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

another cd burner trouble

• Please log in to reply

cdburnertrouble

cdburnertrouble

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I've been googling and reading and I still haven't solved my problem.

The problem is my girlfriends Sony CD-RW crx216e cd burner is now no longer recognizing certain cd's. It has been some time since attempting to burn cd's so I do not know how many if any programs have been installed since we knew it worked. If any, it wasn't much however.

I have 4 different brand CD-R discs that I tested tonight. HP, Memorex, TDK, Imation by name. When placed into the burner only the Imation cd is recognized. All the other three the drive just doesn't recognize as being there at all. Additionaly I placed an actual store bought music cd into the burner and it did not recognize it either.

Is this something as simple as noncompatability with HP, Memorex, and TDK CD-R's?? (that doesn't make sense to me.)
Faulty CD-R's?

Device manager shows it working fine.
Driver is as updated as windows can find.
If I use the Imation cd-r I can copy just fine.
I've already deleted the burner from device manager and let windows auto install.
I have cleared NVRAM using the instructions found here http://www.the-preda...1-0.html#11-0-2

I'm stuck. Please help.

Thanks,
C

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Device Manager tells you everything is working even when you know full well it isn't. :)
If the drive was previously able to see these brands of disk, it would suggest the laser is on the way out. Far cheaper just to replace the unit with a shiny new DVD Writer which are available for peanuts rather than spend copious hours on a drive that you'll probably end up replacing anyway.