Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Installer

• Please log in to reply

JK0826

JK0826

• Pip
  • 6 posts
When trying to install new software I recieved the following error.

The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running Windows in safe mode, or if the Windows Installer is not correctly installed.

I do not know how to fix this. Can someone please advise.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello JK0826,

Try following the steps below.
Go to start and hit run.
In the Open box type: "services.msc" (without quotation)
scroll down to "Windows Installer Service".
Double click it. Then tell me what you see in that window.

Regards,
Olrik

JK0826

JK0826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
service name: MSIServer
Display name Windows installer
Description: Adds, modifies, and removes applications provided as a Windows Installer (*.msi) package. If this service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start.
Path to executable: C:\Windows\system32\Msiexec.exe/V
Startup type: Manual
Service status: Stopped

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Take a look at the following microsoft Article:
http://support.micro...kb/319624/en-us

Regards,
Olrik

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try to remove Windows Installer in Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs. Reboot the computer and let Windows Updates download and install the installer afresh.

JK0826

JK0826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the article and it didnt work. I also tried removing from add remove programs and it wont even open. Im now getting an error that says "this application has failed to start because msi.dll Was not found."

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What happened when you tried to uninstall Windows Installer 3.1 from Add/Remove programs. I am not sure I understood.

If not successful try the link in my signature to Windows Installer Cleanup utility. Read the article, download and run the program to remove Windows Installer 3.1. If successful, run windows updates to download and install a new copy of the removed installer.

JK0826

JK0826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Add/remove programs wont open. When I click on it nothing happens.

JK0826

JK0826

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried your link..... I got a window that said
script: c:docum~1\jennif~1\LOCALS~1|Temp|IXP000.TMP\StartMsi.vbs
Line: 21
Char:1
Error: The system cannot find the file specified
code:80070002
Source: (null)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
It looks as if the faulty installer is part of a broader problem. Do you have, or can you borrow, an XP installation CD which is of the same version installed on your computer? If yes, insert it into the drive and click Start > Run. at the text line type sfc /scannow (note the space in the command) and press Enter. Let the process run to the end at which the dialog box disappears.

These problems can be the result of malware infections. Could you run a full scan with your updated antivirus and a good antispyware program like Malwarebytes (you can download it in G2G malware forum. A link to the forum in the list of links below).