Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Novice Building A Pc

• Please log in to reply

Rich

Rich

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Im a novice with pc`s,and i was wondering if anyone could help me out with my project?I have a Asus P2B-D dual cpu motherboard,and it currently has only 1 pentium3 500mhz on board,and i have the xtra matched cpu pentium3 500.I want to install the second cpu and run it at 1gh,but im having problems locating the bios at asus needed to run both cpu`s.I was wondering if anyone outthere could help me out,or lead me in the right direction.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome Rich :D

You can find the latest BIOS on ASUS's website here..

Two 500mhz CPU do not equal a 1ghz system. It equals two 500 mhz systems. <_<
Your OS will only utilize both processors if your running NT4, Windows 2000, Windows XP Pro, or Linux. Some programs (i.e. Photoshop) can use both processors, but most programs (including most games) can not.

It will allow you to multitask much more efficiently. For instance your'll be able to run a virus scan, and still be able to surf the web, or burn a CD while ripping MP3's. Whenever tasks can be spilt among both CPU's, you'll see benefit. When only running one task, you won't see much of a difference.

As far as installing the CPU, you should just be able to pug it in, and restart.

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks! for your help.I had an additional question on how to format a hard disk drive from scratch?I have alot of used parts with no software and i have never done this before and i want to make sure that im heading in the right direction.

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
If you don't have a boot disk, just download one from bootdisk.com. Run the file you download to create a bootable floppy. Insert this floppy and restart your computer. At the command prompt A:\ type "format C:" (without the quotes). When finished, insert your Windows CD, and type "setup".

If it's a new disk, or one that's had a low level format, you'll also need to partition the drive before formating, using the fdisk command.

Rich

Rich

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Once again thanks alot for your help.Ill let you know how i make out with my project. <_<