Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR and Windows cd boot problem

• Please log in to reply

prasharry2k5

prasharry2k5

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Is there any way you are able to reach to the windows setup or recovery console for that matter. I also had the same problem some time ago but i kept on trying to boot the winXP cd and eventually it did. Then I used the Fixboot or fix mbr something command (which I do not remember now) and it was fine after that.

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Can you identify all your drives in the BIOS (hard disks, cd drives)?

Are you sure you burnt the CD correctly? Try it to boot the computer on which you write to this thread.

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The CD is fine I checked it on this pc and it works.
I can also see my hard disks & dvd/cd drive names in the BIOS.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
1: Are you sure that your CD drive is OK? Could you install another CD drive in place of the present one?

2: Disconnect the Sata hard disk and rig it to another computer. Boot up and click My Computer. Right-click the Sata drive and click properties > tools > error checking > check now. Check the two boxes and click Start. You will be asked to boot the computer to enable the process. Please do so and report the results. It will be quite a long process on 250 GB so, please, be patient.

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
I connected other cd drive a NON - SATA drive (i think it's IDE) and Hitachi's tool works - it is now saying "Loading DFT ..."

I think the problem is with the hardware that connected with SATA because my hard drive uses a SATA and my cd/dvd drive uses SATA but with non-SATA cd drive it works (as you can see above).

EDIT
I also checked if Data Lifeguard Tools work and it does but it tells me "NWCDEX.EXE requires a Driver name to be specified"
then I can write commands :
A:\>_

Edited by neoeyal, 15 May 2008 - 12:45 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
so, what is the situation now. can you run the Hitachi with the IDE CD drive? If yes, what are the results. Can you boot the computer? Can you enter Recovery Console (Don't do any repairs at the moment. I just want to see where we stand as far as repair options go).

Could you tell us how old is your computer and what make and model. If generic, please name the details of the motherboard.

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok let's settle everything.
My PC is 4-5 month old (except the power supply which is 1 year old or more). These are the specs:
Motherboard: Intel DP35DP
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 GHz E6750
2 1GB Kingston's memory cards (total of 2GB)
Video card: NVIDIA 8600GTS 256MB
Hard disks:
1. Western Digital 250GB SATA (WDC WD2500AAKS) - Windows installed
2. Western Digial 120GB IDE (WDC WD1200BB)
CD/DVD drive: LG GSA H62N SATA (I replaced it to the one from this computer which I'm writing this thread and it uses IDE connection)

PC situation right now (with the IDE cd drive):
When trying to boot normally (without any cd) - I get this message (yes, again):

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart

When trying to boot from Win XP cd it's ok - I see a screen with 3 options:
1. set up windows
2. repair windows
3. quit setup
* I can get into Recovery Console

When trying to boot from Hitachi's Tool it's also ok - I see a screen with 2 options:
1. SCSI and ATA support.
2. ATA support only.

That's it - if you need to know anyhting else tell me.
I didn't try anything yet (like running that tool, etc...) because I would like to do what you say after you read what I wrote above.

Thanks.

Edited by neoeyal, 15 May 2008 - 08:44 AM.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Good. At least we can reach Recovery Console. Lets try to fix NTLDR:

Try to repair the problem by using Recovery Console. For this you will need xp installation cd.

To get to Recovery Console insert the disk into the cd drive and reboot the computer. Setup Windows screen will show up. If it doesn't, enter BIOS and set the cd drive to be first priority boot device.

Let Setup run until three options are shown. Choose Recovery Console by pressing R. When asked for XP installation type 1 (assuming you have only one operating system installed). When asked for password type your password or press Enter if you don't have a passwoed. A black DOS-like screen will show up.

At the prompt type:

COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C: and press Enter
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C: and press Enter.

Note: X should be replaced by the drive letter of the CD drive in which the disk is.

Take out the CD and type exit

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Ok, I copied those files.
Now when I try to boot normally (without a cd) I get new messages, this first is:

Invalid BOOT.INI file
Booting from C:\Windows

and then in a new screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
How to rebuild BOOT.INI file. Also repair missing or corrupt windows\system32\hal.dll.

Option 1:
In Recovery console run chkdsk /r

Option2:
Enter Recovery Console. Type: expand d:\i386\hal.dl_ c:\windows\system32\hal.dll . press Enter. D is where the xp cd is located.

Option 3:
In Recovery Console type bootcfg /rebuild.
Press Y for the correct OS to be repaired.
Identifier: type the correct OS. E.g Microsoft windows xp professional.
OS load options type /fastdetect.
Type exit.

Option 4:
How to fix error message hal.dll is missing or cannot be found. (Adapted from Shaun Gray, Kelly's Korner).
Remove hard drive from system.Add Hard drive to a 2nd WORKING XP PRO System a s Slave on Cable select.
Note: all references to “D:\” are the Slave Hard drive damaged windows.
Boot system and enable Explorer > tools > folder options > view. Check Show Hidden Files and Folders. UN-check Hide Protected OS Files.
A working copy of hal.dll will be found in C:\WINDOWS\ServicePackFiles\i386. Copy that file and paste it to “D:\WINDOWS\System32” folder; if it asks to overwrite say YES.
You may now un-do the changes made to Explorer > tools > folder options to re-Hide files.
Shut Down the computer.
Remove the 2nd Drive and reinstall it to its own tower as Master. Bootup. If prompted to reinstall some drivers, Just say YES and let it auto detect.
This "FIX" assumes that the computer in question HAS at ther very least service pack1, if not service pack 2.

Advertisements

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Can you recommend on a certain option please? I don't know which is the best.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Start with no. 1 which is the simplest. Continue with no. 3. Continue with no. 2. Leave out no. 4.

If non is successful then I am afraid that you will have to reformat the computer.

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Option 1:
At the end of the check and recover/repair (whatever it is) it said "fixed one error or more".
I restarted PC and the messages appeared.

Option 3:
It said it couldn't rebuild because of a hard disk error and it told me to run chkdsk (which I already did).

Option 2:
It said "Access denied".

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Try repair installation of XP. Use the link in my signature to G2G's repair guide. If that doesn't help then I am afraid that the only option is clear format.

As a matter of fact I rarely do xp repair because very often it fails. I'll rather work harder and get a properly running computer. It's up to you to decide. The problems you have reflect deep corruptions of Windows.

neoeyal

neoeyal

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
EDIT

I just found out something.
I entered the BIOS and saw that the IDE drive which does not include Windows was the first one to boot, so I changed the order so that the SATA with Windows is now the first.
(Maybe that's why BOOT.INI was Invalid)
Now when I try to boot normally I see the OS screen (safe mod, last good configurations, etc...). If I choose to start windows normally, it shows the Windows loading bar for a second and then a blue screen with the same message from my first post here.
This is also happens when trying safe mod and other stuff, and also when booting from win xp cd - it happens after it loads everything.

Edited by neoeyal, 15 May 2008 - 02:00 PM.