Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I recover the data, and what happened after something ate my re

• Please log in to reply

Kestrelj

Kestrelj

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I noticed a problem with several virii that I can't remember. I started looking in the registry because it I was having difficulty accessing programs. Aside from virii, key loggers, trojans, all in it (It isn't MY machine, I'm usually smarter than that, or I try hard to be.)

It's XP-Home and all I have is an XP-Pro disk to boot from, so that might be part of the problem.:

I'm going to give you the symptoms on boot:

Booting from a disk it goes into set-up;

I try going to the REPAR option. I have a C:\. I type "DIR" and the error message reads"

"An error occurred during directory enumeration"

It allows me to pull the manual for "Help"

I try CHKDSK: The error message reads:

"The Volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

I type: CD WINDOWS. The error message returned is:

"The path or file specified is not valid"

(I also try CHDIR and the result is the same)

Next I try MORE AUTOEXEC.BAT. The error message returned is:

"The file cannot be opened"

I am tempted to use the FIXMBR command, but I'm afraid of risking the data. If I don't screw the data structure up TOO much, perhaps we can just download the drive to another computer and use an exogenous data recovery program to salvage the data.

I would just boot the system, but the CD drive seems to want to eat my XP-Pro disk and not return it, so I need to find a paper clip or something to effect a manual eject, so more later. :)

Advertisements

Kestrelj

Kestrelj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I was looking at Blue Screen of Death Stop Codes and found this:

Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

The Stop 0xA message indicates that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.

This was an eror message that was on the computer which is the discussion of this thread. I couldn't figure out what it was, and my 'puter had melted down. I'm going to continue looking at the BSoD-Stop Codes & see if anything else jogs my memory.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You will not be able to repair Home Edition with XP PRO but If you can get to the Repair option then you must be able to choose to repair through Recovery Console by pressing R. If you can, type, at the prompt, chkdsk /r and let the process run to the end.

If you manage to boot the computer post directly in the malware forum of G2G. Use the link in my signature.

If you can't then,concerning the information you supplied on your first post, rig the HD to another computer, backup the data, scan the disk that contains the backup data with a number of antimalware programs, return the disk to the original computer and clear format it.

Even better, if the data is not really important clear format the disk wiping the data, bugs included, and start afresh. Install all windows updates and a good antimalware program. Instruct your friend about how to avoid theses situations.

Kestrelj

Kestrelj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi,

The 'puter is not recognizing some comands. Both CHKDSK AND CHKDSK /R retur an error message of"

"The volume appears to contain one of moreunrecoverable problems."

S it looks like trying to recover the txt files and photos off the machine, after hooking it up in serial to another machine.

Maybe NOW she'll stop cruising the web as an system administrator.

I would run a virus scanner on her machine until it came up clear, then I would uninstall it and delete what didn't uninstall. Then use another, and repeat procedure. I went through 5 different scanners for both adware/spyware/malware, as well as others that were virus/trojan/worm oriented. I just couldn't stop th last one in time, and I couldn't find the damned thing!

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The message "one or more unrecoverable problems" means pure and simply, replace the hard drive. Then worry about getting the data off it. Don't use it anymore than you have to at this point.

Kestrelj

Kestrelj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

The message "one or more unrecoverable problems" means pure and simply, replace the hard drive. Then worry about getting the data off it. Don't use it anymore than you have to at this point.

Okey, that sounds pretty straight forward.

Am I looking at a failing hard drive, and/or a hosed O/S?

The computer isn't functional right now, so using it won't be an issue. :)

If the drive isn't bad then I'm best served by networking the drive, saving the data and reinstalling the O/S.

If the drive is failing I'm best served by replacing it after I network it to another 'puter to salvage the data, and then installing the new hardware.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Well if the hard drive is dying and part of the O/S are sitting on a dying part of the drive, it goes without saying that the O/S will be screwed up.
You're better off just replacing it, putting a new fresh copy of Windows on it then hooking up the old drive and copying what you can off it before it dies all together.