Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

linksys router

• Please log in to reply

mboy12

mboy12

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
my linkys router is not working properly.my computer was recently fixed and now there is no wireless.it will only work if the other computers are physically plugged in to it and even then i need to dial my internet provider rather then always being connected. is there anything i could try. Ive tried reinstalling it and re plugging all the wires but nothing changed.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Something very wrong there. A router is an always-on connection, you shouldn't have to dial anything.
All computers should be plugged into the router, not through this one computer, unless that is how it was working before.
What was done to the computer to have it fixed please?

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
You mentioned you've tried reinstalling it. By it, do you mean the computer's driver for your wireless adapter?
If not try that. Your computer's recent 'fix' may have removed the wireless adapter installed in it.
I don't know about the need to redial your ISP though. I don't quite get it.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
nothnig was done to the actuall hard drive, only the mother board was changed. and yes it will only work once dialed up.it never needed to do this before.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
When you say there is no wireless, do you mean there is no wireless signal? Or do you mean you can't connect anymore?

I'm not really an expert when it comes to components like motherboards but my guess about needing to reinstall your computer's wireless adapter could be correct. You'll need to reinstall it I think. Also, maybe you just haven't correctly reconfigured your wireless authentication settings to your router (correct SSID,wep key,index,etc) since you got a new motherboard. I'm not sure as I don't know much about the effects of replacing a motherboard (never had to try one coz I don't own a PC).

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
well the laptop i have actually pick up a wireless signal but wen you open a browser nothnig happens

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
OK then. Can you tell me if you're connected to that wireless signal? Detecting a wireless signal is different from connecting to it.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes it will actually connect to the signal but there is no internet

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
OK let's clarify some stuff first to make sure I'm thinking of the right thing and not having a wrong interpretation of the situation.
Please correct me if I'm wrong or verify if I'm right.

it will only work if the other computers are physically plugged in to it and even then i need to dial my internet provider rather then always being connected.

The computer that has a new motherboard (let's call it new computer) is the one that can't connect via wireless. Other computers you physically connect to the router can access the Internet.
If the new computer is physically connected to the router, can you access the Internet? Try doing it with the others connected and with the others disconnected as well.

is there anything i could try. Ive tried reinstalling it and re plugging all the wires but nothing changed.

You've reinstalled the driver of the wireless network adapter? Is that the it?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
well the computer that was fixed was my main base computer.it was always physically plugged into the router.the internet will only work on it when dialed up. there is also another computer near it that is also plugged in but has the same problem. then theres is a laptop on another floor that picks up the wirelss signle but doesnt not connect to the internet.

Advertisements

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
I see. That has both clarified some things for me and made me even a little more confused. :)
So its your laptop that is having problem with wireless connection to your router and not the computer with new motherboard. And that's the issue you want solved, aside from the need to dial, correct?
Additionally, please try to answer all questions if you can. Otherwise I'm just gonna have to ask again.

is there anything i could try. Ive tried reinstalling it and re plugging all the wires but nothing changed.

Reinstalled it. Is it the wireless network adapter of your laptop?

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes thats exactly right. besides the dialing up the other computers are ok. what i tryed to reinstall was the linkys router software from the cd.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
--merged post--
see below

Edited by ditrackster, 14 May 2008 - 08:33 PM.

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Before you got you main computer fixed with a new motherboard, your laptop's wireless connection was ok?

Please tell me what router model you have. It could help me help you.
Please try connecting the laptop directly into the router, like the other computers.
Tell me if you can access the Internet.

Edited by ditrackster, 14 May 2008 - 08:33 PM.

mboy12

mboy12

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
yes it did.
the model is a linkys wireless-g broadband rounter 2.4ghz.
the laptop does connet to the internet if it is pluggued in then dialed up.