Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer wont enter bios

• Please log in to reply

Rapture

Rapture

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Recently bought Asus k8v-x mobo, amd 2800+ 64 cpu, 1gb crucial ram, 500w roswell psu & ATI 9600, have tested ram & video on seperate comp, no friends with the 64 bit athalon stuff yet though, sent both cpu & mobo back to manufacturer/newegg for fixing replacement, back in same situation.

Have tried placing mobo on cardboard and running that way to no avail. Also tried 350w psu w/nothing. Although never tested either psu on any other comp. Tried multiple monitors.

Basically I flip psu power switch, mobo light turns green, hit power sw, all fans start, no noise. If harddrive connected to psu & mobo makes a couple click noises and stops.

My only guess from reading thru others probs in same situation is my 500w psu is broke and my 350 psu is underpowered, although the 350 has both 20 and 4 pin.

Any suggests greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi Rapture,

For now keep the mobo out of the case with no drives connected you want to try and get a post (power on self test) and enter bios.

Is there anyway you could try a pci video card?

I have to try and find a manual for your board when I do I'll post back.

Do you know if your board has what they call voice post?

Rick

Rapture

Rapture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi Rick/Doby,

No idea on the voice post issue. As for a pci card the computer Im posting with is an integrated mobo, but I could ask around and see if any of my friends have a pci. I also will shutdown this comp and try both psu's on it to see if theres any luck(almost hoping they dont work) that way.

--- Mark

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
With the mobo on a piece of cardboard install the psu 20 pin and 4 pin connection,
Use the 500w

Make sure the cpu is inserted in the socket correctly check your manual for illistration

Make sure the hsf is installed with thermal paste and the fan connector is connected to the correct header on the mobo.

Install 1 stick of ram in dimm 1

Clear the cmos, see you manual

Install the video card

connect the power switch from the case

Connect the case speaker making sure the + and - is on correct pins

connect monitor, keyboard, mouse

Please try this exact config and post back any beeps and explain what happens

Rick

Rapture

Rapture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
currently running my old comp w/500w, will shutdown and try exact config.

Rapture

Rapture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Tried exactly as you said and had the exact same result. Was not positive on the case speaker so I tried both directions, no change with either test. I filp the i/o control on psu, green light goes on, hit power sw and all 3 fans start, no noise, nothing happens with monitor. Monitor almost immediatly changes to power saving/no signal mode. It allows me to power down by holding down the power sw. Thats all the details I can notice.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Remove the video card and power on, note any beeps
Then replace the video card and remove the ram and power on, note beeps.

post back the beeps you get if any.

Rick

Rapture

Rapture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
No beeps across the board. Also tried no video or ram.

A stupid question I spose, but from the research I did, the mobo & cpu are both 64 bit based and compatable, although I saw no direct place specifacally listing them as working together. If it were something as silly as that though, I think I would need to return to my TI 99-4a. That was a great computer.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No I checked on that they are compatible.

You could try the 350w psu and rerun the tests the 350w will be enough to show a post.

We know the ram and video card are good and I doubt you have 2 bad psu's but it is possible and being there are no beeps indicates that the cpu or mobo is bad and without trying the cpu in another system it is hard to tell witch

Sorry I could not narrow it down more but I am guessing the cpu because the board lights and fans spin but thats a guess.

Rick

Rapture

Rapture

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you for looking into it for me. The only other possible issue i may have had, is the cpu fan came with a gel on it, which i assumed to be enough of a heatsink. Should I be adding more of anything of my own? I also relied on simply touching metal to ground myself, although do not have a wrist guard. What is the likely hood that in installing the components, I'm doing something to mess everything up. I have assembled a couple computers in the past, including the one I'm posting with, but the problems didnt start until after I got in bios for those.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
No the compound that came with the hsf should work and as long as you touch metal before components your ok. I never use a wrist band gets in the way to much.

Your welcome and I hope you get it going