Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Using nLite to slipstream SP3

• Please log in to reply

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I took my XP CD that had SP2 slipstreamed on it using nLite and slipstreamed SP3 on top of it. Completed okay, but would not install, missing many files. Tried it a few different times, thinking I had removed or deleted some things that I should not have but it made no difference.

Finally, I went back to the original XP Pro with SP1 then slipstreamed SP3 on that and it works great. Installs fine, no missing files.

So the moral of this story is, don't slipstream a service pack on top of a XP CD that already has a slipstreamed service pack on it.

Advertisements

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
a very good piece of advice.
slipstreaming isn't without its minor setbacks as well... when correcting problems with the computer, if certain registry keys have not been updated, the computer can ask you for the windows CD, in a loop, as it wont be looking in the right location...

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup\SourcePath

make sure that entry points to your CD drive letter. Alternatively, you can copy the i386 folder onto your harddrive and point it there.

also, make sure that ServicePackCachePath and ServicePackSourcePath both point to the correct location, usually C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles

Just thought I'd pitch in my personal experience with slipstreaming :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,065 posts
On my system, after installing SP3:

ServicePackCachePath points to C:\Windows\ServicePackFile\ServiePackCache
ServicePackSourcePath points to C:\Windows\ServicePackFile

Vaillant

Vaillant

• PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
yeah, in my experience both those registry keys should point to the same folder, C:\Windows\ServicePackFile
the key that has the extra \ServicePackCache will know where to go from within the \ServicePackFile folder... if you point it directly it gets confused and causes the problem I described :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 7,065 posts
It installed without problem for me, on two computers, and both have the entries I posted.