Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

monitor has no signal

• Please log in to reply

09mlb86

09mlb86

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
hey! i have a homebuilt desktop that isn't getting signal to the monitor.

SPECS:

ASUS M2A-MVP motherboard

AMD Athalon 64X 5600+ (2.8Ghz/core) replaced with
AMD Athalon 64X 4000+ (2.0Ghz/core) due to problem

1 GB x 2 of Mushkin DDR2 800 (have tried takeing 1 stick out, useing every slot, takeing that one out and doing the same w/ the other stick)

Mushkin 550 Watt Power Supply

it had an HIS ATI X1950PRO video but replaced it with XFX Nvidia 9600GT b/c of this problem

unhooked all fans except CPU fan

unhooked all ROM/HDD's as well

the power light on the mobo is on and every thing works corecty

with the HDDs hooked up, and time allowed to boot

if u allow it to turn on, the num lock, scroll lock and CAP lock lights all work on the keyboard, i can charge my MP3 player w/ USB ports

i have a Logitech G11 keyboard (where the keys light up) and it lights up if u allow time

my G9 mouse's LCD lights up

both DVD +-RW drives will open/spin

4 SATA harddrives can be heard spinning

about 2 weeks ago, i turned it on and it looked as if, some on had changed the color bit to 16...after checking...it was 32 thought it was b/c i was used to my laptop...thought nothing of it

last week i turned it on and it read on my LCD tv "no signal"

well i put the 2 and 2 togeather and figured it was the video card.... so being the tinkerer i am...i took the video card apart before throwing it away.... it had HUGE glops of thermal paste/grease on the GPU so i figured that was only backing up well theroy. I purchased an Nvidia 9600GT from XFX (double lifetime warenty) recived it today, installed it....NOSIGNAL...went to the local shop and bought a cheal 64X2 in the 4000+

SAME THING!!!!

the CPU fan spins...all 8 case fans spin, 1 PCI blower spins, my video card fan spins...cpu gets warm if u leave it on for a while......it all acts like a video card.....but i guess not... BTW there are no speakers for me to listen to POST....that would coast ASUS what? $1? :-{

any help is welcome.....

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i'm not much help here but i have to say that out of 10 ASUS motherboard computers that have come thru here with video problems, 2 of them needed the motherboard replaced to fix the problem. One MB would just burn out every video card stuck in it in about a week. I really think the copper traces from the PCI-E slot to other components were very weak on that one causing the problems. The other one just would not show any video. I had to replace every other part in the computer before the customer would understand it was the motherboard. I could only do this because i was in the christmas rush and had a lot of parts for new builds shipped in.

Bottom line is that ASUS does not have the quality control i would like to see. I do not build ASUS MB computers just because of the quality control problem.

I would think about replacing the motherboard since you have already tried different video cards.

SRX660

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
what brand, model would you recomend i replace it with?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I have used Abit, Gigabyte, MSI, Epox, Intel, and lot of off brand named motherboards with no problems at all. I prefer the Gigabyte's for AMD builds for their nice overclocking features. For most builds i prefer the Better Intel motherboards just because they have the least amount of problems. Just look for a board that has all the features you want to have. The problem i have with Asus's is they either work perfectly, or constantly have problems. As i build and see computers weekly, i do not need any problem computers taking over my time with warranty repairs,. I also make sure all my customers have access to my knowledge when they have problems. The Asus's have taken a extraordinary amount of time keeping them running for customers, and i cannot afford that.

SRX660

09mlb86

09mlb86

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
thanks again again for you time