Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mysterious power on

• Please log in to reply

peterrex

peterrex

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
;) I went out of town two weeks ago and am positive I turned the computer off before I left. When I came home it was on and would not POST. It will only turn off or on from the back. I reset the CMOS many times, referred to my Abit manual and followed some troubleshooting tips with limited results. The mobo fan was not running but the CPU fan was. The manual recommended I hold down the Insert button when I turned it on and this revived the mobo fan to funtion. It also recommended that if all else failed to reset CMOS, unplug PS and remove battery momentarily. I did all this and and returned the CMOS to normal, replaced battery and replugged all PS, the mobo fan now does not turn. As I can't get it to POST I can't even get to the BIOS. There is no graphic activity on the monitor or beeps. What's going on? People have told me there is a way and that the CPU and mobo are not dead. What now? :tazz:

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
First thing I suggest is leaving the battery out overnight with the power disconnected, and then try again.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
:tazz: Thanks I'll try that now.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
OK, I waited 24 hrs with the battery out. I replaced the battery, cleared CMOS again, plugged in power cord and got identical results. I removed one RAM stick (512mb) in case it was bad, but no change. I did notice that the floppy drive had been incorrctly installed due to the keys on the cable being able to go either way (some key) and that did result in a light flashing on the floppy drive when I turned on the power. I tried unplugging the USB card reader, there are some front panel usb/audio access that I haven't unplugged, but I'm unclear anymore why these things would matter. The mobo fan still has not returned to activity after it was running due to the pushing of the Insert button as described in the mobo manual. Any further suggestions most gratefully received. I am now down to two systems down and only a laptop to rely on. Thanks for whatever you can tell me.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
Seeing the number of people with issues around PSU I can't help but wonder if there is any possibility that my problem with the Abit AN7 might have to do with power supplies. Is it possible that the self-power-on had something to do with that and that there is a partial loss of power somewhere preventing the continuation to POST? Is there a way to test a mobo and or cpu without having the OS installed (which obviously they have to work for that to happen anyway, so...) I'm just trying to find any kind of cause so I can get this running again. I intend to use this computer for video editing functions, which is why it is critical for me to get it going again. I guess if worse comes to worse I'll make the other computer active and put the hdd from the AN7 into the KV7 to rescue files. Anyway, any suggestions deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.

peterrex

peterrex

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts
So, the motherboard fan has decided to run again, without explanation or particular effort on my part. No other changes, now instead of a red and blue light showing through the front grill, it is only red. The CPU is Athlon XP 2600+ and the PSU is a Switching Power Supply =12v made for use with the AMD K7. I suppose if I can't find any further activity here I'll try some tech service or just replace it as an unexplained malfunction, I really need to get back to the work I depend on it for. Thanks for any other suggetions. If I could only even get into the BIOS it would convince me there was something to work with still. :tazz: