Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Installing XP serive pack 3

• Please log in to reply

boytheracer

boytheracer

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Good morning all.

Had downloaded service pack and was installing when a message came up about where to put a file named **boot.sys so i canclled the install, restarted my computer, it went to a screen saying somthing like restoring system configuration, then we blue screened with the message saying:

STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The Windows Logon Process system process terminated unxpectedly with a stats of 0xc0000006 (0x00000000 oxoooooooo).
The system has been shut down

** means i do not recall the first couple of letters

Any help would be much appreciated, thank you all in advance

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Service Pack 3 seems to be breaking a lot of HP machines due to the way they imaged the machines in the factory. Also a range of AMD processors seem to be affected as well, again from the HP range.

See if you can boot into Safe Mode (keep pressing F8), go in as Administrator, Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and get rid of SP3 from there.

boytheracer

boytheracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
i neither have a HP of an AMD, have a dell and a centrino.

If i go the way you just described the message:

stop: c0000221 {bad image checksum}
The image cpcrt.d77 (they look like sevens but might not be!) is possibly corrupt. The header cecksum does not match the computed checksum.

Thanks

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
If you hit F8 key right after your computer starts to get to the startup menu, select "last known good configuration". Hopefully that will set you back prior to your attempted SP3 install.

If you blue screen after this, you should have a restore partition or restore CD from Dell and it may be best to just go back to scratch.

Edited by fawoodward, 14 May 2008 - 06:58 PM.

boytheracer

boytheracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
have tried that option as well, would like to try and see what i can do as i have my university files on the computer.

Many thanks

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Just as backup purpose. (For worst case senario and making sure your files are safe)

Go to a friends house, open up his PC and hang the hard drive as a second drive.
Then boot up his PC and you can get files FROM the disk.
DO NOT put files ON the disk.

Regards,
Olrik

boytheracer

boytheracer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello, just after a little extra help.

Been told i can sort this issue out with the XP original disk, and i have this, any chance somebody could tell me how please?

Many thanks

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
A guide from our very own admin on how to repair XP.
http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

Regards,
Olrik