Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Speedfan: Can someone please help me to use it

• Please log in to reply

tamba1

tamba1

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi

I have downloaded & installed speedfan on my own Dell D600 laptop so I can find out how to use it and then help a friend
whose laptop (Toshiba Equium A60-199 ) appears to be overheating and keeps shutting down..

I have done nothing except download it, install it and look at the various tabs ..

I can see the following readings page

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
I/O properly initialized
Linked ISA BUS at $0290
Linked Intel 82801DB ICH4 SMBUS at $08C0
Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
Scanning Intel SMBus at $08C0...
SMART Enabled for drive 0
Found HITACHI_DK23FB-60 (60.0GB)
Found ACPI temperature (40.5C)
End of detection

Below that a bar saying CPU useage and a green moving strip

Below that 2 more items

HD055C
Temp 41 C

But there is nothing else - yet most of the screendumps I havse seen have a lot more info on this page , which is why I assume I need
to edit the settings .. Here is an example of one of the screen shots from someone elses post http://www.geekstogo...fan-t99083.html

please can someone advise me

Many Thanks
tamba1

ALSO can someone please tell me how to insert screen shots in this forum many thanks
:)

Edited by tamba1, 14 May 2008 - 08:25 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Speedfan can only report temperatures that it can find. Therefore if there are no temperature sensors wired up on the board, there is nothing to report.

Having said that, there is a Speedfan option for Dell notebooks. Click Configure -> Options tab and the tickbox "Enable Dell Support". You may need to restart Speedfan.

tamba1

tamba1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Neil

Thanks for that - I have done as you suggested and can now see the following

Fan1: 2205 RPM
Fan2:922 RPM
Fan3: 922 RPM

HD0 56C
Temp1 41C
DIMM 49C
CPU 53C
GPU 47C

Can you help me decipher this?

tamba1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Your temperatures are not critically hot but they are a bit on the high side. You may need to blow compressed air into the vent to blow out any dust that's built up that's helping to up the temperature.

The markings are not the same for each system but typically HD0 = first hard drive, CPU = processor, GPU = graphics, DIMM = memory, and Temp1 is another sensor, most likely main board temperature.

tamba1

tamba1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi Neil that's excellent thanks very much for your help

I do hava question though , if I blow compressed ai thtough air intake vent ( at the side) where does all teh dust end up elsewhere in the machine? or will it come out the air vent underneath ?

tamba1

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
The airvents are designed to allow an intake of air, but dust is a natural part of the atmosphere therefore the fans draw it in. You can blow it out the same way.
A bit like when you eat food, it goes in one way and occasionally comes back out the way it went in... :)