Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free public wifi?

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
All of a sudden my laptop started picking up something called "free public wifi". My system connects to it right away but when I try to get on line I have all text but no pictures or graphics. Other laptops I have when connected can't get on line at all. I tried repairing, replacing and renewing the IP. What do you think we are dealing with here. The free public wifi is a very strong signal. I took my laptop for a ride and it is strong miles on either side of me. If this is son strong and we connect so easy why can't we get on line. Thanks

Advertisements

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
To follow up The connection says it is an unsecured computer to computer network.

Noto

Noto

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Well, u should be careful using unsecured wireless networks as your data can be captured by third parties.
Also, you shouldn't be using someone else's wireless network unless they have given you permission, even if the name is 'free public wifi'.

And for the no pictures problem... Well, it seems odd. Maybe the wireless router is blocking certain file extensions.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I don't use the connection because it is no secured. Why be called free public wifi if you don't want the public to use it. Call a private wifi and secure. It does sound fishy to me that someone can offer free public wifi and it jut show up all of a sudden. I have my wireless network and it is secure and don't need the free one, I was just curious about something free showing up all of a sudden.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
This will give you more information about these.

The program in Windows XP used for finding wireless Internet access shows two kinds of connections -- access points, which let you jack in to the Internet, and ad hoc networks, which provide access to a standalone computer.

The Windows icons for these two are different. An access point is designated by an antenna; an ad hoc network looks like two notebook computers side by side.

Generally, you want to avoid ad hoc networks in public places. At best, they're a radio signal to nowhere; at worst, they could be someone looking for a vulnerable PC to compromise.

The "Free Public WiFi" connections I was seeing were all ad hoc networks. Just out of curiosity, I connected to one once. Nothing happened.

When Windows connects to a network, it retains that network's name, or SSID, then broadcasts its as an ad hoc network, essentially inviting a connection. You can find more details here. Microsoft has said it will fix this in the next XP service pack; it's unclear if Windows Vista behaves this way.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Actual Link :)
http://blogs.chron.c...public_wif.html

Regards,
Olrik