Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

New comp: MB or PS problem?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts

I purchased parts for a new computer through newegg, put it all together last night in the same case as my old computer and nothing spins up at all. No power, lights, anything.

I've built a few computers and I'm figuring it is either a Motherboard problem, not communicating the power on, or the Power Supply is dead on arrival. I have the 24 pin pluged in and the other 4 pin that I think is for the processor. (I tried w/o the 4 as well)

How can I tell if it's the MB or the PS if I have no other components to troubleshoot with? Or are they working and is there something else I could be doing wrong.

I'm deducting that it's not the Memory, processor, or Graphics Card b/c nothing spins at all. And I don't think there is an LED on my MB like my old one that shows when power is plugged in.

Also the power switch that plugs into the MB (where the speaker and leds plug into), does it matter if it's 180* or will it work either way when it's pluged in the pins. Just curious if it matters.

Here's the new sexy parts:

1 x BIOSTAR A770 A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard

1 x LOGISYS Computer PS550AC 550Watts ATX12V Power Supply

1 x Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model

1 x POWERCOLOR AX3850 512MD3 Radeon HD 3850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

1 x AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX

1 x ARCTIC COOLING ACF64LP 60mm CPU Cooler for low profile PC

2 x MASSCOOL FDC08025S1M 80mm Case Fan

2 x MASSCOOL BLD-08025S1M 80mm Blue LED Case Fan

Thank you very much for your time.

Rad Adam (^.^)
(posting from phone, sorry if gram errors)

Edited by RadAdam, 14 May 2008 - 07:59 AM.

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,585 posts
You could have a bad power supply.

you could also have a dead mb or even cpu. Make sure everything is seated properly. Are any fans or hard drives spinning up? If they are, then its the mb. If not then it leads me to suspect the power supply.

Please be careful when testing.