Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on XP Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

rustyagain

rustyagain

• PipPip
  • 77 posts
Tried to load service pack 3 on desk top & laptop computers - both faile to load the update - on searching web-pages seems to be causing a lot of trouble, any other experience, problems or advice please - is it worth down loading ??

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im heading into my 10th different machine that Im going to install SP3 on. So far I have had no issues, all different types of laptops and desktops so far. I like it, Remote Desktop is really really fast now. I have seen the boot time decreased as well as some apps opening faster.

I downloaded the update itself, I never trust a SP from Windows Update. I use this Download Link

Ignore the warning about updating one computer with Windows Update, its a recipe for disaster. This one contains all install files so you dont need the original XP disc either.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
I have seen SP3 upset computers. To be fair the computers were upset anyway and SP3 just sent them over the edge.

If in doubt, Norton Ghost is your friend. Plus if your system does commit suicide after being introduced to SP3, just Ghost it back.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Thats good advice.

I have been switching everything to VMWare. I run a linux host that supports 64 GB RAM and then run multiple windows Virtual Machines at full 4GB, that way I just shut it down, copy the VM then try the upgrade.

I know that probably doesnt help but I think the moral of the story is to have a good backup before trying any big upgrade.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I've installed SP3 on at least 5 different computers and the only issue was with an HP desktop. But it was the intel/amd issue and was easily and quickly fixed with the registry change. It seems to be working fine and an improvement in some areas.

Good luck!