Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

gaming system....

• Please log in to reply

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Well first of all I am not sure how much I want to spend, but I do know I want one that is able to play any game that comes out this year atleast lol. I do know that it will cost alot but what gamer doesn't want the best?
I would like to know what parts would be needed for a computer that can handle the games.

Processor:
I was looking at the AMD Phenom 9850 processor, seems to be a good one.(anyone know of something better?)
Motherboard:
Not sure on this one cause I have no idea which would be the best....
altho I do know that I do NOT want one with on board video, but the sound can be, don't know about anything else
Video Card:
I was thinking nvidia's GeForce 8800 or the ati's I am not sure about can't find anything that I can make any sense out of.
It needs to support duel monitors.
I was also thinking of getting a duel cards, altho I've only heard of it and never witnessed it being used.
Memory/RAM:
Well heres another that I am not too sure about, I know I would like to fit as much as I can in the motherboard.
Harddrive:
The bigger the better for me, 120GB isn't enough for me now so double that would be good but even more is better
(I seem to fill up the harddrive very fast....)
Plan on getting a external sometime after as well.
Monitor:
Eventually I want around 20 inch LCD(as noted above 2 of them)
Other hardware:
For sure need a dvd-rw/dvd+rw ect...
Probably don't need a floppy drive.
Network card is a must???? yeah that's a question lol. or can it be built in the motherboard?
Sound card is not really needed cause it can be with the motherboard.
Memory card reader is needed as well for digital cameras ect.
Atleast 4 USB ports. (2 front and 2 back)
Cooling system. (not sure it should be water or fans or both?)

Anything else that I might be forgetting?
I hope that someone can take the time and figure some of the questions asked, also would like to say thanks for taking the time to read this long post and maybe helping out in some way.

Advertisements

unibroue

unibroue

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Here some advices i can give you :

1. Motherboard --> People often take the cheaper motherboard as long as it support their CPU, watch for it ... there's a lot of Motherboard company to choose from, i'll be more than happy to find you the best choice for you when you'll have all the peripherals...

2. Onboard devices --> Sound and Network can be onboard, long time ago it was smart to buy a network card but it's no longer needed since the CPUs are now able to do a lot more ... if you don't plan use Optical Fiber as sound output, you can use an onboard card sound without any probleme, 90% of new motherboards come with 5.1 channel support and is more than enough for almost everybody.

3. Get 2 drives, one for the OS and one for the data ... so for the OS i recommend buying a Raptor 15k drive as it will help you get the little boost needed from time to time and it will speed up your boot time ... you'll see these drives are expansive, but they worth the money ... take a little drive is doesnt really matter since you'll take a 500GB (min.) for the data drive!

4. For the screen, it's a question of feeling and look ... for my part i prefer dual-screening with 2x19" than one big 22" ... Samsung 940bw are pretty cool and have cool specs!

5. DVD/CD writer is a must for sure ... use some well know company not these little no-name DVD write as it will make your burning a pain ...

6. USB ports ... the more you can take!!!! Everything is USB now

7. No water cooling, cause if the pump go down, you're stuck!!!! Use good old fan and heatsink, they are quite cheap and do the job pretty well ...

8. Talking about cooling, be sure to keep some money for a good case ... people doesnt pay attention to their case, but its a BIG part of the system ... my favorites are from Antec ... take a look at P180 or P182 ... really nice cases and really quiet!

9. video card ... i'm a Nvidia fan, so i won't tell you to go with an ATI, but for my part i always buy eVGA card, they are cheap and work flawlessly!!!! For the model, go with your budget, and don't go with SLI ... it's a waste of money cause 3/4 of the games doesnt use correctly the SLI technology!!!!

Put more money on the CPUs and RAM, i forgot to speak about RAM ... don't use cheap no-name ram for a Gamer PC ... go with low-clock RAM and well known company ... i like crucial, OCZ etc...

Have fun ... if you require further assistance, i'll be more than happy to help you!

TrEzNoR

TrEzNoR

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
Thanks Unibroue for the advice, if you would like to give anymore for the list below feel free to do so...
Ok Well I looked things up on newegg.com to see what to get and here are my choices:
Any suggestions will be much apprieciated...

Case:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811129021
Looks alright to me.

Motherboard:
still don't know cause have no idea what's compatible with the CPU and other components.
I do want one with onboard sound and network.

CPU:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115044
I was thinking this one because it has the highest speed with 3.2Ghz.
If anyone knows any others that are better then please let me know. I also need to know which Motherboard I need.

Video:
http://www.newegg.co...;Tpk=14-129-111
Thinking of getting two of these but not sure if it is worth it, like would I have 2GB memory on video or does it just use one at a time???
I am not sure if this one allows duel monitors or not? (If it doesn't then someone please recommend one that will and still have the power to play the newest games)

Harddrive:
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136073
this one looks good enough or else
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136150

CD/DVD Burner:
I already have one so I'll use it until I need a new one.

That is all I have at the moment, any suggestions for the rest of the parts like the PSU, USB ports, Card reader, case fans, ect...
Thanks for any help.

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
The processor you selected is too expensive, do you really need that? I think in about a year or so, there will be a better and cheaper one than what you have selected and yours will be obsolete. If you're only using this computer for gaming, I suggest you stick with Dual-Core because there's no games right now that takes advantage of the 4 cores. Also the only motherboard that can support that processor is $600+. I do believe that these kind of set-up is more for multitasking graphic intensive applications like rendering videos.

So I recommend going with Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 with 3.16Ghz and you can OC it higher.

If you want to go SLI, I recommend getting this motherboard, the EVGA 750i FTW. This motherboard comes with 6-8 USB 2.0 Ports and onboard sound and network.

The best NVidia card right now is the 9800GX2 (which beats the HD 3870X2).

Also, I suggest this Mushkin 4GB RAM.

For the powersupply, I suggest going with a good brand like Silverstone, PC & Power cooling, Corsair...
You can go with a 750W from Corsair or the Corsair modular 620W.

For harddrive, Western Digital is a good brand but with only 3-year warranty. You can go with this Seagate 500GB with a 5-year warranty.

SLI and Crossfire is usually not recommended because you'll only see about 20% improvement and you pay twice the amount. If you really want to go this route, we suggest getting a high-end card and SLI or Crossfire it.
If you're going SLI or crossfire, you might want to think about getting a bigger case than what you have selected. I have heard that the Antec 900 can be too small when a lot of hardwares are installed and it also isn't the greatest for cable management.
I don't know anything about card readers but here's what newegg have. Maybe just read people's comments.

Hope that helps,
Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 16 May 2008 - 11:46 AM.