Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restarts over and over and over

• Please log in to reply

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Hey everyone, I'm having a serious issue which i'm unable to resolve. Ever since my friend tried printing about a week ago on my guest account It will not stop resarting. It locked up on him about 15 seconds into printing and has happened ever since. Computer will only boot up in Safemode without networking. Nothing was installed or downloaded at all.
My BSoD is as follows:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0X000000D1 (0X0007430C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X0007430C)

It will either restart before i can login, during login, or shortley after login. Kind of random, but has recently crashed as soon as I log in. I noticed that there was a yellow explanation point under my printer driver, so i was thinking that may be the problem, so I deleted the old driver and was gonna reinstall new one. Only problem is, when i open in Safemode I cannot install it. Basically says the admin has set perameters to stop this. I am logged in as Admin, so i don't know how to install it to see if that is the problem or not. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Any questions I will be happy to respond as well.

I am running Windows Xp SP2 on a HP Pav Desktop

Thanks, Glenn

Edited by gr69eht1980, 19 May 2008 - 11:36 AM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
0x000000D1: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
http://www.microsoft...md_stp_ottj.asp
The system attempted to access pageable memory using a kernel process IRQL that was too high. The most typical cause is a bad device driver (one that uses improper addresses). It can also be caused by caused by faulty or mismatched RAM, or a damaged pagefile.

I would first use safe mode to remove any printer from device manager, then try a restart. Heres some other thoughts on this subject.

http://support.micro...=916595&sd=RMVP

http://support.micro...=839876&sd=RMVP

SRX660

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Just an FYI, i'm not too computer shavy when it comes to programming/repairs other than software. The second link you sent i already have that hotfix downloaded to try tonight when i get home, but i'm not too sure what to look for on the other 2 links. I just hoe it even lets me download the hotfix since i was having problems with other programs saying i need admin rights for some odd reason.

Edited by gr69eht1980, 14 May 2008 - 01:41 PM.

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
You could also try starting with the F8 key to get to the advanced start menu and select "last known good configuration" and see if that will undo whatever was done. Good luck.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
First off, I tried the hotfix which did nothing, still rebooting. Also have already tried using last known good configuration with no success either, as well as trying to recover to a couple days before it happened, didn't help as well. I will try doing the offline crash diagnostics, but i'm not sure how i would be able to send the info to microsoft since i can not use my internet. Safemode with networking crashes as well.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Have you tried repairing your windows installation with the windows cd?

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Not yet casue I let my friend borrow it to recover his PC a while back, I'll be getting it back soon hopefully so I can give that a try as well.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

We want to run the offline crash diagnostics to get a quick snapshot at what could possibly be the problem with you getting Blue screen error messages.

First we want to download the offline crash diagnostic. You can obtain that here
Now we want to Run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool
After you save the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file, follow these steps:

1. Double-click the WindowsXP-KB923800-ENU.exe file to install the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
The installer adds the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool files to the %Windir%\Pchealth\Helpctr\Binaries folder.
2. Click Start, click Run, type ocadiagnostic.exe ,and then click OK to run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool.
3. Agree to let the tool send information to Microsoft. Then, click Next.
The tool performs the following tasks:

• The tool determines the number of dump files on the computer.
• The tool finds any dump files that are located in the %Windir%\Minidump folder. You can choose to send all the dump files, or you can choose to send individual dump files.
Note The last 10 dump files to be created are collected. Dump files are not collected if they are more than one year old.
• The tool automatically sends the dump files to the Office Crash Diagnostic Microsoft database Web site for analysis.
• The tool downloads the response URLs.
• The tool displays the response IDs. The tool also provides hyperlinks to the Office Crash Diagnostic Web site.

Go ahead and report back the Response IDS with your next post.

Tried running the diagnostic, but it won't send back any Response IDs if i'm not connected to the internet, since i can only boot in Safemode. Now what ?

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I'd still try running the Repair with the windows CD.

Advertisements

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I don't know how long it will be till i can get my hands on a disk. So what else can i try in the meantime ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In safe mode try to restore the computer to a date prior to the occurrence of the problem.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

In safe mode try to restore the computer to a date prior to the occurrence of the problem.

Have already tried this as well. Any other ideas ?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
boot into safe mode...
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....
tell us the error message you get

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
His first post indicated the crash error:
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0X000000D1 (0X0007430C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X0007430C)