Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restarts over and over and over

• Please log in to reply

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Can you boot in safemode w/ networking so you can zip c:\windows\minidumps and post them?

Advertisements

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
As I noted before. I can not boot into any other mode beside Safemode. Safemode with networking gets the BSoD as well. I did some thinking on the offline crash diagnostics and decided I would copy the dump files to a cd and add them to another computer and runthe program. They came back with Response ID 79. But when i click on the url it says: Corrupted Error Report. I've also included the dum files if needed. Does this help at all ?

Attached Files

Edited by gr69eht1980, 21 May 2008 - 08:35 AM.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Nobody else has any ideas ? :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you do what I asked in post # 14...
try booting into your bios..usually tapping the delete key as soon as you power up...but but read the screen to see
set the bios to the safe or default settings...then save and exit...usually the F 10 key but read the screen to see

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
As to your post #14, I have noted before the BSoD is:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL 0X000000D1 (0X0007430C, 0X00000002, 0X00000000, 0X0007430C)

I'm not too sure how you set Bios settings to safe settings, never noticed this option before. I'll try this later when I get home.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I didn't ask what the bsod was ...I want to know if you changed the settings so it would not reboot...
that will take care of this...Windows Restarts over and over and over
while your in the bios look for a setting that has to do with halting on errors...set it to none...
wouldn't hurt to run memtest86 too...

Edited by happyrck, 22 May 2008 - 06:52 AM.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
If I leave the automatically restart box checked, it just boots up and restarts over an over. If I uncheck the box, then I just get a BSoD as soon as I sign in. I'll check the Bios setting when i get home as well as run memtest86, but i highly doubt it has to do with my memory.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you can also try unplugging everything except your keyboard mouse and monitor...

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
That's where it is at right now. I already unplugged printer/speakers, etc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me the make and MODEL number...I'll get the bios manual/info for your computer ...

Edited by happyrck, 22 May 2008 - 10:18 AM.

Advertisements

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
HP Pavilion Desktop a475c

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
they don't have a manual to download...
read the first screen when you first power up...it should tell you what key/s to press to get into settings
Entering the BIOS Setup utility
You may have difficulty accessing the BIOS Setup utility screen, because you must press a specific key (usually F1 , or Esc ) very quickly before the Windows screen appears. If you do not enter the BIOS Setup screen on your first try, repeat the following steps until you are successful.
To open the BIOS Setup screen:

Turn off the computer and wait about 5 seconds.
Turn on the computer.
When the first screen appears, press the F1 or F10 key on the keyboard. (You can press the key more than once.) The BIOS Setup Utility Main menu appears.
NOTE: On certain Compaq Presario PCs (prior to 2002) press the F10 key at the logo screen to enter setup.
Use the keyboard to navigate through the menus.

Reloading the BIOS default settings
To reload the factory BIOS settings to the setup default:

Press the F5 function key.
Select Yes or OK .
Press the Enter key.
Press the F10 function key.
Select Yes or OK to save the default settings.

You can also complete the following steps to reload the factory BIOS settings using the menu:

In the BIOS Setup utility, select the Exit tab.
Select Load Setup Defaults .
The system prompts you to load the optimized setup defaults. Select Yes or OK and press the Enter key.
Select Exit Saving Changes .
Press Esc and then Enter to exit Setup

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
OK, I'll give this a try when i get home from work. I've been in the Bios settings before but just never noticed this, it's definatley F1 by the way, and my computer is nice since it gives me about 5 seconds to hit F1 before windows loads. I'll post back tomorrow my results of this as well as the memtest. Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you install SP3 by chance or have windows set to automatically download and install updates...is so read this...

HP Thursday confirmed that some users of its AMD-based desktops have had problems after installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3), and said it would issue a patch this week to prevent machines from spiraling into endless reboots. HP also told users to delay installing XP SP3 until that patch was released.

Microsoft, meanwhile, acknowledged Thursday that it's working on a hotfix of its own.

The confirmations were the latest additions to the weeklong saga of problems some users have encountered after upgrading Windows XP to SP3. Last week, reports began showing up on Microsoft 's support forum of "endless reboots" crippling machines running Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) processors. Many of the users said that the out-of-control PCs were from HP.

Users, led by Jesper Johansson, a former program manager for security policy at Microsoft and currently an MVP (Microsoft Most Valuable Professional) who works at Amazon.com, identified several causes , including one limited to HP-branded systems. According to Johansson -- and later, Microsoft itself -- HP used a disk image created on an Intel-powered machine to factory-install Windows XP on AMD-based PCs. Microsoft had advised computer makers against doing that as long ago as 2004.

An errant reference in Windows Registry for an unnecessary device driver -- "intelppm.sys," a power-management driver designed only for Intel -based PCs -- causes the XP SP3 upgrade to install that driver to AMD systems, said Johansson. That causes the PC to fail to reboot when it restarts after the update. Because most XP machines are set by default to reboot on a failure, the PC reboots repeatedly; some users have had trouble interrupting the endless reboots and regaining control of their computers.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I have never updated to SP3 yet since i knew about all the problems people were having and decided to wait it out, but I'm pretty sure that i do indeed have windows set for automatic updates. Do you think this could be part of the problem ? My computer has a Pentium 4 /3.2 GHz Processor, not an AMD like most people with the problems have.