Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Restarts over and over and over

• Please log in to reply

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I downloaded your dump files, I'll try to analyze them and post back.

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
It looks to be associated with NDIS.sys, first off make sure your version matches: 29-Apr-2003 5.1.2600.1215 162,816 Ndis.sys
Physically remove all networking from your system - either disable any integrated networking and/or remove any network cards. Then boot in safe mode and uninstall any network devices. I read on Microsoft's site that this error particularly refers to IPX/SPX networking.

Then post if this helped any or not and I'll keep checking your dump files. Good luck.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I'm starting to get reports of people having various problems with sp 3 AND they don't have amd processors either...

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP

It looks to be associated with NDIS.sys, first off make sure your version matches: 29-Apr-2003 5.1.2600.1215 162,816 Ndis.sys
Physically remove all networking from your system - either disable any integrated networking and/or remove any network cards. Then boot in safe mode and uninstall any network devices. I read on Microsoft's site that this error particularly refers to IPX/SPX networking.

Then post if this helped any or not and I'll keep checking your dump files. Good luck.

NDIS is the stack that network drivers sit on. I would be extremely hesitant to jump to the conclusion that this is the faulting code.
Driver verifier would be a decent way to start:

Fire up driver verifier by going start>run>verifier.exe

1. Create Custom Settings
2. Select individual settings from list
3. Check everything but "low resource simulation"
4. Select drivers from a list
5. Click the provider heading to sort
6. Check everything that doesn't have Microsoft as the provider
7. Finish & reboot

Next time the box crashes, upload the dumps. Driver verifier adds a bunch of checks to help us identify the culprit.

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
Like I said, I looked at his dump files, I didn't jump to this conclusion. And even after looking at his dump files, I researched a little and, based on the dump file and error code research, I posted my response. I didn't check all of his dump files, just the 2 most recent ones. Driver verifier sounds like a good way to go as well.

Good luck.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

I'm starting to get reports of people having various problems with sp 3 AND they don't have amd processors either...

First report: I ran memtest86 and everything is fine there. I also reset bios setting like you said and I am still having the same problems. I do not have SP3 installed, so that can't be the problem either.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

How do you check to see if the versioon matches ? I don't even know what is your talking about really. I guess i should check the driver verifier first before removing everything, hopefully that won't have to be done, and hopefully it will even let me do so since when working in Safemode it will not let me delete or install certain things. I'll run driver verifier tonight and post back. Also, what is SPX/IPX networking. I don't have any networking set up except for my wireless internet.

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP

How do you check to see if the versioon matches ? I don't even know what is your talking about really. I guess i should check the driver verifier first before removing everything, hopefully that won't have to be done, and hopefully it will even let me do so since when working in Safemode it will not let me delete or install certain things. I'll run driver verifier tonight and post back. Also, what is SPX/IPX networking. I don't have any networking set up except for my wireless internet.

Start with driver verifier.

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Also, here are a couple other shots in the dark:

--> Remove (or update) Adaptec/Roxio DirectCD
--> Are you using AOL? If so can you update it and if not, remove it?
--> Can you go in device manager and report back what model of NIC/Wireless NIC you have?
--> Can you go in device manager and report back what kind of display adapter(s) you have?
--> Are you using MusicMatch? If not, remove it, if so can you update it?

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

NDIS is the stack that network drivers sit on. I would be extremely hesitant to jump to the conclusion that this is the faulting code.
Driver verifier would be a decent way to start:

Fire up driver verifier by going start>run>verifier.exe

1. Create Custom Settings
2. Select individual settings from list
3. Check everything but "low resource simulation"
4. Select drivers from a list
5. Click the provider heading to sort
6. Check everything that doesn't have Microsoft as the provider
7. Finish & reboot

Next time the box crashes, upload the dumps. Driver verifier adds a bunch of checks to help us identify the culprit.

Ok, I ran driver verifier as you said and first of when I restarted I received a new BSoD as follows:
ID SYSTEM VERIFICATION ERROR in cdr4_2K.SYS (WDM DRIVER ERROR 226) [cdr4_2K.SYS+14a0 at F6FD54A0]

I also resent the new dump file with Offline Crash Diagnostic and received ID: 10.

I have also included the most recent dump files after the restart as requested.

Attached Files

Advertisements

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
That's Roxio/Adaptec Direct CD.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

That's Roxio/Adaptec Direct CD.

So what do I do now ? I tried deleting that system file, and I did not receive that last BSoD again, but I still got the same one as before ??

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Uninstall it from add/remove programs

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Uninstall it from add/remove programs

I don't have Roxio installed.

gr69eht1980

gr69eht1980

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Since I don't have any Roxio software installed i'm not too sure what i'm suppose to do next ?