Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU Coolers and Intel

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I've been doing a lot of reading at various forums about new hardware while I await my Bush bucks.
In one of the posts I read was mention of having to be careful of the cpu air cooler's weight because of warranty concerns.
This caused me to think (a particularly painful experience) that maybe I should get some info from Intel.
The following is an excerpt from their reply.

"Thank you for contacting Intel® Customer Support.

I understand that you want to know what is the maximum weight of cooling solution for the Intel® Core™ 2 Duo processors.

Currently we do not have that information since we do not recommend using third party cooling solutions, this is because by using third party cooling solutions will void the processor warranty."

I find it difficult to believe that such a large segment of the computer aftermarket industry could exist by making products that would void the warranty on a new processor.

Your thoughts please.

jst42day

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The warranty is only offered when you buy a retail boxed processor with cooling fan and three year warranty. Realistically a processor is typically the last thing to die as the board and the rest of the components generally die twice over before it does. The warranty is also only valid if you're using the heatsink and fan that came with that processor. People typically replace the retail heatsink because its too noisy, and the notion is if the processor fails through one of these third-party coolers, your warranty is null and void.

If you buy an OEM processor all you get is a processor. You can then use any heatsink and fan you want. All of those do the job perfectly with different designs, methods, noise, style, etc. Matter of finding something you like.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Neil,
Do you know if Intel offers any warranty on an OEM processor?
Thanks.
jst42day

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They don't. Any warranties are those offered by whoever you buy it off.
In the grand scale of things though the processors, as I said previously, tend to outlive the rest of the system in any case, and by the time you get three years down the line you'll have probably replaced it anyway with something better.