Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU vs Motherboard

• Please log in to reply

jst42day

jst42day

• PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
I'm curious about the following.
I know what my needs are for a motherboard.
Is it better to spend a bit more on a motherboard-such as EVGA 750i instead of a lower performing Asus- or should I put a bit more money on the cpu?
Thanks.
jst42day

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Depends entirely on what you're going to do with the computer.
Budget boards tend to skip on some features that aren't present on the higher-end boards so you need realistically to look at the feature offerings in lieu of what you want to do with the machine.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
Neil,
I understand what you're saying.
If mobo 'A' and mobo 'B' both have what I need, but 'A' also has some extras, am I better off to just get 'B' and a slightly more powerful cpu or should I spend the extra on the mobo with more features.
I'm just looking for others opinions. All of you have more experience than I do.
Thanks.
jst42day

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Do you intend on running SLI? If not, don't even bother with a 750i board. If you do intend on running SLI, then I highly suggest you purchase the Evga 750i FTW model as it supports x16/x16 SLI, while other 750i models only support x16/x8.
If you give us your budget we could better assist you.
James

Edited by james_8970, 14 May 2008 - 10:04 PM.

jst42day

jst42day

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
James,
I don't plan on running SLI.
I can go up to $200 US for mobo, hopefully less, and the same applies for the CPU.
Use at this time will not involve much gaming, gut lots of office work, music and photos.
Thanks.
jst42day

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Honestly, just get the GA-P35-DS3L. It's a great budget board.
Use all the left over money to invest into a CPU. I suggest the E8400 as a quad will be of no benefit to you.
James