Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

BSoD again and again...

• Please log in to reply

Zenon7

Zenon7

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi all,

I have been getting the blue screen of death repeatedly over the last week. It is a stop:0X0000001A memory_management error that I am getting. I know this is probably driver related but I have not installed any new hardware for ages. I don't know if possibly my kids downloaded a game patch or not, but I updated my video driver anyway. Things seemed fine, for a whole day!

I've restarted in safe mode and run a full virus scan with Panda, as well as Ad-aware and Spy-bot with no issues. It really seems to be driver related, but I did a system restore to a date I thought preceeded all this but I'm still getting the stop error.

I have installed and run the Offline Crash Diagnostic tool. The error reported back is 685. I'm at a bit of a loss, any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Graeme

Advertisements

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
It looks like from the offline crash diagnostics you have a issue with your driver lets figure out what it is.

Blue screen error messages are one of the most misunderstood error messages out there in regards to windows.According to Microsoft, only 5-20% of these errors are actually caused by the OS. Only 10% are hardware related. The other 70% are the result of faulty drivers or software incompatibility. Based on those numbers, less than 15% of blue screen errors can be permanently resolved with an OS reinstall.

To get the Minidumps do the following

1 > create a new folder on the desktop and call it "dumpcheck" or whatever you like
2 > navigate to %systemroot%\minidump You can paste that address in address bar to get there. Then copy the last few minidump files to that folder.%systemroot% is normally c:\windows. They are numbered by date.
3 > close the folder and right click on it and select Send to Compressed (zipped) Folder. Please do NOT compress them in .rar
4 > use the "Managed Attachments" option under "go advanced" upload that zip file here as an attachment.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks very much, here are the last five crashes or so.

Attached Files

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Hi-

I looked at these mini's and I'd wager that you may want to give memtest86 a good run and see how it turns out. :)

GotTeeth

GotTeeth

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi-

I looked at these mini's and I'd wager that you may want to give memtest86 a good run and see how it turns out. :)

Agreed on that one. Seems like a stick is failing on you, not so much in the fact it's not working, though.

Download memtest here. Be sure to let it run for at least a good 15 minutes. If it fails and you get a BSOD, replace the faulty stick.

Edited by GotTeeth, 15 May 2008 - 11:53 PM.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, thanks.
Maybe I'm just not too bright... :) but I don't seem to be able to get the MemTest to work. I burned it to a CD (who the heck has floppys these days?) and moved both my cd-rom drives up in the boot order in the bios, but it just keeps booting to windows regardless. Is there something I did wrong maybe in burning the memtest to CD?
Cheers,
Graeme

Edited by Zenon7, 16 May 2008 - 08:22 AM.

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Sometimes you have to press F12 or something to get a boot menu and pick the CD drive. At least my two PCs at home have this behavior.

Otherwise perhaps try burning the ISO with another tool? I know Nero works. ISORecorder should too.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hello all,

Ran memtest, I just let it keep running - three times, took three hours....but not a single error. So, maybe RAM is not the issue then.

Graeme

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Still an ongong issue...
Now have received a Page_Fault error and a new one for me, PFN_List_Corrupt.

Graeme

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Hi-

Let's try a slightly different approach here:

Fire up driver verifier by going start>run>verifier.exe

1. Create Custom Settings
2. Select individual settings from list
3. Check everything but "low resource simulation"
4. Select drivers from a list
5. Click the provider heading to sort
6. Check everything that doesn't have Microsoft as the provider
7. Pick your C drive
8. Finish & reboot

Next time the box crashes, upload the dumps. Driver verifier adds a bunch of checks to help us identify the culprit.

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Hi, thanks...

I ran verifier before leaving for work this morning. One note - I didn't have the option to 'pick C drive, I could only finish and reboot. When I did that, I got: IO system verification error: dalwdm.sys wdm driver error dalwdm.sys 2860 at AC4B8860

And the system was frozen there. Am I correct to assume then that this is our bad driver? I've Googled it and it appears it is from my ProTools applicaton.

Also, I presume if this is our culprit, I have to boot into safe mode and switch off verifier? How do I do that, just select the delete settings button?

Many thanks,
Graeme

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Might be. Can you boot in safemode and disable that driver and then see if things are better?

Zenon7

Zenon7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
Thanks, I may just delete the file both places it appears and clean out the program and do a reinstall....I don't see the file in msconfig to do a selective startup without it (if that's where I should be looking for it)?

bdesmond -MVP-

bdesmond -MVP-

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • MVP
Deleting it isn't a great idea probably. Can you uninstall the package and see how things go? Perhaps there is an updated build from the vendor?