Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Standby/Hibernation?

• Please log in to reply

aldaros23

aldaros23

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Okay, so i am running Windows XP, P3, 733mhz, 384mb ram.

i'm trying to figure out what i did to my computer. cause it seems like it won't sleep - i.e. the fan is always running, loudly. the monitor goes black and all, but i dont think the computer is resting when i'm not around, thus wasting energy/electricity.

i did use one of the Tweaks on the forum called "Turn off Hibernation", but is this really the problem?... maybe i need to adjust the standby settings?

i see in Control Panel --> under Power Settings there are several options... right now i have monitor sleep after 20min, harddrive never, system standby never, last one = level. that's probably the problem right?

can anyone suggest some energy saving settings?

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

under Power Settings there are several options... right now i have monitor sleep after 20min, hard drive never, system standby never

Hello,
It looks like you have the monitor set to go in to power saving mode after 20 minutes, and that is it.
Your computer does not go to a power saving mode because it is set to never go in to a power saving mode.
It is my opinion that you should not set your computer to hibernate.
I do not put my hard drive, or computer to sleep.
There are issues that may effect the machine (some Have trouble coming out of hibernation).
This is always your decision!
Here is a link that will help you.