Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Monitor Blacking Out?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, everyone...

I have a 4 yr old DELL PC. The last few days after using the PC , my flat screen monitor blacks out. The only light visible is the inside slight flashing when kind of illuminates the bottom portion of the monitor..assuming that is the ON switch light, maybe? It happens when the screen saver comes on (which is set to NONE). Then, I have to unplug the PC completely and wait a while to turn it back on. I can hear the PC processes running, so I don't think it is the PC, but maybe the monitor? I read online about "vidoe card bad", "backlight bad", etc...It isn't dim WHEN it is working, just goes black/blank after a while. ANy thoughts?? I need my PC for my new job. Thanks a bunch!

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,588 posts
there are two scenerios happening.

1)your monitor has a power issue resulting in the improper power saving/power initialization. I have a viewsonic that is doing the same thing. I was able to hook it up to a different pc and it exhibited the same results. Bought a new monitor to resolve my issue. What leads me to this conclusion is that when you reboot the pc, it sends a specially craft signal to the monitor that causes it to reinitialize.

2)you video card is having issues and may need to be replaced. I doubt this is the issue. Only way to tell is to test our monitor on another system.

You've gotten some good live from your monitor. You might think about upgrading to a bigger/better monitor.