Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MyBook World Edition II (2)

• Please log in to reply

FUState

FUState

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I purchased MyBook World Edition II.

After some difficulties I was able to get into \\mybookworld by connecting directly to a computer and finding out that their default ip is 169.254.x.x subnet 255.255.255.0.

I got in, changed it to my preferences, which on our network is 192.168.0.113 same subnet.

I have confirmed that it is this ip now by getting on \\mybookworld while directly connected to a computer.

I then hooked the MyBook up to the router (with a different cable obviously) and I am unable to find it anywhere.

My router is a D-Link DI-624 and I have set the mac address of MyBook to be accepted, and I have set a Static IP for the MyBook as well.

I cannot find MyBook anywhere in my network connections, nor does it pop up when I type in \\mybookworld.

Any advice would be great to hear.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
did you run the setup wizard ?
Cheers
Peterm

FUState

FUState

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
The setup wizard was one of the earlier things that I did.

I also went into Internet Options on my computer and changed //mybookworld to intranet and no results... I even added the ip as intranet and that brought what I expected (nothing).

I dont know why I can login to it when directly connected, but when I'm connecting through my router, it just doesn't want to do anything... leads me to believe it has something to do with the router settings (but I've checked every tab and sub tab in the router options to ensure the my book mac address is allowed...

It's kinda bugging me... any suggestions?

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
have you plugged it into thr router via the ethernet cable or via usb.
If via usb then you have to make sure you have checked the radio button for usb under file sharing under the home tab.
You said you changed the ip address do you have the option for dbcp. If yes choose that.
Can you ping the router.
Click start>run type in cmd and press enter
at the prompt tye in ping 192.168.0.113 press enter
do you get a reply or a time out /
Cheers
peterm