Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Invalid Partition Table !

• Please log in to reply

groovy_138

groovy_138

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I had a Invalid Partition Table Error come up guys, how do i get this fixed. There is a lot of stuff that I have to get off this computer !!!

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Heres a explanation of th NTFS partitions.

http://www.ntfs.com/...ion-deleted.htm

from the daniweb forums.

First off, did you try running either or fixboot and fixmbr? That sometimes is all that is needed. And yes, the recovery console restricts which directories you can get to.

on the fixmbr, yes, *anything* you do to attempt to repair the drive or MBR etc has the potential to make the problem worse. That's why the main task *before* doing any recover operations is to pull off any data you don't want to loose. Murphy's law comes into play here: If you have your data saved, nothing bad will happen when you attempt to revive the drive, but if you don't you will surely loose your data.

Another way to get at your data and copy it off to another location is to use NTFSDOS and a DOS boot floppy or CD. This program in read only form is free from sysinternals.com.

As far as Ghost goes, download BartsPE ISO image and burn to a CD. This has a bunch of tools on it including Ghost 8.0 and will also allow you to access your files and copy off to another location. With a second hard drive on your system or access to a network share that can contain the image of your dead drive, boot off of BartsPE CD and run the Ghost program under programs. The program is fairly intuitive.

Once you have a good image of your drive and/or your files safely copied off, remove the ghosted disk or unplug it and you can now run the various partition and disk recovery programs out there to see if you can get it to boot and run.

I cannot stress this enough, remember in data recovery scenarios, getting your data off is more important than trying to revive the drive. Only after you have recovered your data do you ever attempt aggressive drive recovery techniques.

SRX660