Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

limited connectivity

• Please log in to reply

Compfixer

Compfixer

• Pip
  • 3 posts
After disabling the wireless net connection on my kids laptop it won't recconect . the card seems to connect but it cant aquire an ip address. Ive gone through the normal motions of reconfiguring with no luck. the laptop in question is a dell inspiron with an intel pro wireless adapter using the intel driver.
During the course of troubleshooting Ive found some malware on her machine that required a smitfraud fix to remove, it had disabled task manager and
who knows what else.
I believe there may be a single hidden option turned off. In the course of setting up another wireless connection on another computer the ibss default link state was disabled in the advanced settings for the wireless adapter and it had pretty much the same symptoms of limited connectivity only There was
also a "turn on ibss encryption" that only showed up in the oem drvr UI. On this laptop there is no comparable option to set for the adapter advanced
settings.

Is this common on dells and does anyone know an easier fix than loading the recovery disk.

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Did you have the PC get checked up here at Geeks to Go's malware removal experts?
Just to exclude this isn't a malware problem (If you've not already been declared clean) I Suggest you take your log to the malware doctors found in this forum.
Please make sure that you read this before posting anything in the malware forum.

If you're still having problems after the malware doctors declare your log clean feel free to post back here and we'll help you to the best of our knowledge! :)

Regards,
Olrik

Compfixer

Compfixer

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
In the course of going thru the malware removal steps I could not continue to pandasecurity with no cnnection. I used the
Superantispyware repair network connection tool (winsock lsp chain) and now I am connected :)

I still have some lesser comp. issues if theyre not clear in a few days I'll start a new post.

Thank you Artellos you sent me to the right place.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
You're welcome! :)

Regards,
Olrik