Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

USB ports dont work

• Please log in to reply

iamsmplyme

iamsmplyme

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i hope someone can help me with this. i have 2 computers both running windows xp sp2 and both with the same motherboard and both with the same problems.

the mother boards are ECS K7S5A pros and neither of them have working usb ports. i have tried everything i can think of to get the usb ports to work but have had no luck and made things worse. i uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. it used to be that when something was plugged into the usb ports just nothing would happen. now if i plug something in it freezes up my comp. the bios is set to let the usbs be used. the usb ports r getting power to them. when i plug in a usb optical mouse itll light up but it wont work. can someone please help me figure this out.

thanks for your time.
if anymore info is needed just post here and ill try to respond asap.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
The first thing to look at is the plug and play host service in the Administrative Tools/Services. It should be set to automatic and "Started". If not, set it so and see what happens. Sometimes a device will take over all the USB ports so that any of the previous USB hardware is not seen or does cause the computer to crash. See if you can try some new USB hardware( that you have never used before) to break the USB ports loose.

Are there any error messages in the event viewer on the USB problem?

SRX660

iamsmplyme

iamsmplyme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
the plug and play host is set to automatic and started. ive tryed with 3 different webcams and 2 different usb mice. all do the same thing which is nothing. and it never gives any error messages anywhere.

ps. thanks for the fast response :)

also to anyone whoposts, if i go buy a usb 2.0 pci card will it work or will i be likely to get the same problems? (that is if the mobo isnt too old to run one)

Edited by iamsmplyme, 15 May 2008 - 06:02 PM.