Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Somebody please help me

• Please log in to reply

Hot_Reezy

Hot_Reezy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I really need somebodys help that I been having wit my computer.my desktop is blank there is no icons on it.my windows explorer bar also is gone.when I restart my computer the explorer bar will be there for two seconds and then it will say "explorer has performed an illegal operatin and wil be shut down and then the explorer bar just disappears and its just a blank screen because theres no icons on the desktop.Also it says I got a couple of missin dll files,i cant remember the name of them now but Ill put them up here when I see it again.Can somebody please help me wit this problem.

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
This is usually caused by Internet Explorer (yes!) dlls having been corrupted.
It takes some computer savvy to resolve, but it can certainly be done!

Take a look here:

Blank Desktop or Illegal Operations Error Message After You Install Internet Explorer (don't worry about the title, the advice in this article is relevant to your problem!)

NOTE: You must SKIP points 2 , 3, 4, and 5.

Go from 1 straight to 6.

NOTE - IMPORTANT!: the command to restore the previous version of IE needs to be modified slightly if you're running IE 6.0 (which I'm assuming is the case):

In that case, in point nr. 6 replace the 5 in "setupwbv.dll, IE5 Maintenance" by a 6.

Or follow the steps in method 2 of this MS article:

Error Message: Explorer Caused an Invalid Page Fault in Module Browseui.dll (once again, don't worry about the title)

Good luck.

Edited by TonyKlein, 27 April 2005 - 11:57 AM.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
hey, no body told me there was a freaking KB article on this!!!!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
:tazz:

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP

hey, no body told me there was a freaking KB article on this!!!!

View Post

LOL, even two of them!

It's probably because the articles' titles don't appear to be entirely to the point.

It's however a common issue in Win98, and reinstalling IE, with its shared system files, routinely fixes this.
As the Explorer shell won't load it does unfortunately take some advanced tinkering... :tazz:

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I know, I've been walking people through the process of reinstalling IE, but I've been typing it out each time. Plus I have been using progman.exe as the shell....winfile.exe is a much more elegant shell for this purpose.

I am glad I read your post...

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
You're very welcome. :tazz:

Hot_Reezy

Hot_Reezy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
i went to both of those microsoft supports and neither one of them worked.the only thing i can use on the start menu is the internet explorer.when i tried to type in program exe in edit system.ini,when the computer started it wouldnt work and said i needed 2 reinstall windows.i reinstalled windows and the same thing happened.when i restart the computer it also says a requaired .dll file win.dll not found.the explorer has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down message still appears and when i click details it says explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shdoc401.dll please help me with this problem