Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Older Software on XP

• Please log in to reply

BPak

BPak

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have software developed with Borland C++ Builder Pro version 4.00 32 bit which uses the Paradox Database.
This software is dated about 2000 just before XP release.

The installation is done with InstallShield.

The PKUNZIP 16 bit program is also installed with the package for the users convenience as it is needed to unzip some files the program uses.

I have been able to install the program and the Paradox Database and the PKUNZIP.exe with the Installer on Windows XP, Windows XP SP1.

Trouble comes when trying to install it on Windows XP SP2.

We have had to take the computer to a tech shop to have settings done to make this type of Program installable on XP SP2.

Since then we are able to install several different apps made with this software just like we used to before SP2 by double clicking the setup.exe file.

Techs are not always available in some places the software is used so I need to understand how to go about setting the XP SP2 to accept the programs.

What I would like to know is what settings are needed to be done to the XP SP2 platform to allow this older style software to be installed?

Any help would be appreciated!

Edited by BPak, 15 May 2008 - 01:29 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What error are you getting that stops you installing Borland on this computer?

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
It is a while back since I had the problem myself and dont remember the messages exactly.

I thought this would have been a common problem with installing older software on SP2 ??

The XP SP2 just wont let the Installer do the installation.

I may have to reformat a disc and go through it to get the messages if that is important?

Thank you.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is no specific issue with older software on XP SP2, only those that used functionality that changed majorily when SP2 was released. Programs made before XP was even released may or may not be affected. There have always been compatibility issues with certain pieces of software and flavours of Windows and there will always continue to be.

In all honesty and with all due respect, this is an open-ended question which in order to answer requires specifics. It's like saying my car makes a noise then not going into further details.

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks Neil.

Will find the necessary info next time I ask? As I said I thought it was common and obviously it is not so!

Have attached a file I found on the web which may be of some use for this problem!

Attached Files

BPak

BPak

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Problems are solved, well in a way!

A friend had just purchased a new computer and it had XP SP3 installed. I was expecting problems...

However, the installation of the Borland software went smoothly without a wrinkle.

MS must have catered more for the older software installation in the SP3 update.

So Borland C++Builder Pro ver 4 lives on...

Thank you everyone for your attention.

BPak