Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help please

• Please log in to reply

iknowjohnny

iknowjohnny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I saved a support page for my mobo and revision so i can choose a CPU. I'll probably order it today. Good to know it won't be a problem with my install ! By the way, which would be better....a core2 duo with 6 MB L2 and 45nm, or one with 4 MB L2 and 65nm? (both are 3.0)

Advertisements

fawoodward

fawoodward

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
I'd think the 6mb one since it has more L2 cache, but my knowledge about the latest CPUs is a tad lacking, so if someone else has a different suggestion, go with theirs haha :)

max-a-million

max-a-million

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hi again

yep it sounds like it could very well be the CPU. that would make sense as well, because the CPU would overheat at different times depending on its initial heat level.

in terms of your motherbaord i looked it up on the internet (http://www.giga-byte...?ProductID=2456)
and you are able to use any type of core 2 duo processor (or extreme) but not a quad core. upgrading wouldnt be a bad idea, but from 2.13 to 3 wont make much of a difference.

you can replace the CPU with ANY new CPU and no changes will be made to your settings, or will need to be made. also, even if you do get a totally different mobo, then all you will need to do after installation is install all the drivers that come with it, nothing more. i have recently placed my HDD into a totally new pc and all i had to do was update my drivers. eveything else works fine (expect for re-activation of widows and adobe premiere pro)

hope that helps

max-a-million

iknowjohnny

iknowjohnny

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Well, the CPU seemed to be the only component that i could find a possible reason for it to have fried. But turns out it was the mobo after all. I bought cpu from Frys after learning they would accept a return. That wasn't it so i brought it back in return for a mobo. They happened to have one older Gigabyte left that was the model that came right after mine, and luckily it installed without the need to reformat. It just had to install a few drivers and here i am. Thanks to all for the help. I really appriciate it. :)