Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC freezing when opening folders containing avi's

• Please log in to reply

wiichris

wiichris

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a probem with my pc, everytime i open a folder containing a avi video/videos my pc freezes,
there is a error that comes up say something like "drwatson has found an error and it will be closed"

Could sumone help me with this? i have only had my pc for about 2months, if there is any information i need to post up to help you understand please tell me, and i will post them

many thanks
Chris

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello wiichris...

Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.

wannabe1

wiichris

wiichris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
it seems to be working now,thank you very much

could u explain what that just did? i take it the problem was not anything to do with a virus or anything like that?

Edited by wiichris, 15 May 2008 - 11:29 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Basically, we told Windows to not generate a preview in the left pane of Explorer by unregistering the file that performs the preview indexing function.

When used with individual images, this function is usually not a problem, but larger movie clips are made up of thousands of individual images...if the preview indexer is on, it has to read the whole file before it will generate the single preview image. When it's in the process of indexing, it may appear that Explorer freezes...actually, it's just busy and will not respond until the index operation completes.

This was not caused by malware. It's a default Windows setting that needs to be adjusted when there are movie files in the mix.

wiichris

wiichris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you very much, i thought it was a virus or sumthing :)