Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Look at my build, please.

• Please log in to reply

scottdg

scottdg

• Pip
  • 2 posts
So I am considering building a machine for the first time. The most processor intensive thing I will be doing on the machine will probably be photo editing and possibly some video editing. The only real expansion I am concerned with is memory. Here is what I picked out based on reviews on newegg and what I think I need. I am not all that concerned with sound. The integrated sound card on the motherboard is fine. I have no idea what case to buy I just picked one based on reviews. I am not sure if that is the correct power supply either for what I need.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated. If I am forgetting anything please let me know or if you have any suggestions on other components in the same price range (cheaper is always nice) to replace what I have listed I would appreciate that as well.

(Sorry the formatting is a little off since I copied from excel.)

motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-P35-S3G LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
$75

Processor
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
$275

Memory
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
$132

Video Card
EVGA 256-P2-N751-TR GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card
$50

Hard Drive
Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD7500AAKS 750GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$125

CD/DVD Burner
LITE-ON Black 20X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 20X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner
$30

Case
XION Onyx XON-303 Black/Blue Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$45

Power Supply
XION XON-630P12N 630W ATX12V Power Supply 115/ 230 V RoHS, UL, CE, CB, CSA, FCC, TUV, Demko, Nemko, SEMCO
$60

Advertisements

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
that build looks pretty good mate, what OS you thinking of using?

scottdg

scottdg

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I have several licenses of XP from work that are not in use any longer so I will use that initially. However I would like to upgrade to Vista before too long.

Does anyone have thoughts about buying this stuff at a computer show? I don't go to them so I have no idea if it will be hard to find exactly what I want. Will I find a lot of no-names, or will it be difficult if I am not familiar with many of the brand names?

Edited by scottdg, 16 May 2008 - 11:31 AM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
don't go with no names mate they can be very dodgy

the best names i find to go for are:

RAM: Kingston or Corsair

PSU: Corsair

Gfx cards: BFG

HDD: Hitachi or Western Digital

other people have different preferences, but these are the ones i mainly stick with

Edited by sandman01086, 16 May 2008 - 01:42 PM.