Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Where to start. Laptop problem

• Please log in to reply

bkp

bkp

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi,

I have an acer laptop and the other day it froze up. I had to just shut it off with out doing the proper shut down. Now I try and restart it seem to want to turn on but does nothing. The power light is on and seem like the harddrive is turning then after a minute i hear nothing, but it is still on. I get nothing on the screen.

Now I don't have any boot disk or anything. Can I make one from another computer. I have windows xp.

I just don't know where to start and what to try? I have tried to hit esc, delete, f8 right after I power on and get nothing.

Thanks

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Unplug the laptop from the power supply. Take the battery out of the laptop. Hold the start button in for 10 seconds. Reinstall the battery and see if the laptop will boot up. It may not work but it did work for me one time about a month ago. Same problem as you had.

SRX660

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
By reinstall you mean to reattach right? Just want to clear that up for me and anyone else who might be raising their eyebrow... :)
What does holding the start button for 10 seconds do? I have a laptop and I'd like to learn more about this trick.

bkp

bkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
THANKS FOR THE TIP!!!

BUT IT DIDN'T WORK.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
All the trick does is completely power down the laptop. When you have a quick shutoff it may make the computer think it still has instructions it must follow to properly shut down. If the instructions were corrupted in the memory the computer does not know what to do, thus the no power -long shutdown to clear the memory.

BKP, you have a hardware problem with the laptop. Probably the only way to find the problem is to use the recovery console now.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

heres a tutorial on using recovery console. Where it says windows 2000, XP is the exact same method.

http://www.windowsne...s/wxprcons.html

Only after getting XP back running can you look in the event viewer to see where any problems exist.

SRX660

bkp

bkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
WHAT DO YOU DO IF YOU CANT FIND THE RECOVERY DISK?? DONT REMEMBER IF IT EVER CAME WITH ONE??? I HAVE A DESKTOP COMPUTOR CAN I MAKE ONE???

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
Thanks SRX660...

Hi bkp,

This isn't my job, but I would like to remind you to please refrain from posting all-CAPS messages. Some people (like me) find it hard to read, and represents shouting most of the time. :)

The instructions on the link provided by SRX660 says:

Although you can run the Recovery Console by starting directly from the Windows XP CD, it is generally more convenient to set it up as a startup option on your startup menu.

I think that means you don't need to make a CD for it, as it can be made to be available on startup.

To make the CD, try the instructions here on how to make a recovery disk. Google is also a good place to start.

Good luck

Edited by ditrackster, 15 May 2008 - 10:12 PM.

bkp

bkp

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

sorry for the caps

TheQuickBrownFox

TheQuickBrownFox

• PipPipPip
  • 714 posts
No prob bkp... :)

How did your recovery disk go?