Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Restarts After Boot in Normal Mode

• Please log in to reply

Loritutor

Loritutor

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi Smart Folks::)
I thought my problem was malware, but they referred me over to this forum. Here is the link to that topic: http://www.geekstogo...ot-t197646.html
Anyway, this happened a day or two after Verizon FIOS tech installed a wireless adapter to my PC and upgraded our service. But because I couldn't run virus or malware scans, I assumed I was infected. I tried different utilities to clean it, but still the PC would not boot normally. I even took out 1 gig of RAM because I thought that it might be faulty. So it is only running on 512, but the problem is still there.
It is possible I messed up some registry keys when I was doing my "fixing". Also, I can't locate the Windows XP CD to do a re-install. Any advice? Thanks a million, Lori :)

Advertisements

PILL5B3RRY

PILL5B3RRY

• PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Well I don't think this is your problem but it doesn't hurt to try.

While in Safe Mode, go to Start>Run>Msconfig

Over here your going to want to click on BOOT.INI

Make sure that the /SAFEBOOT option isn't selected. If it is, then thats most likely your problem. If its not then sorry.

Loritutor

Loritutor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Hi!
No, that wasn't it, but I appreciate your trying to help. :)
I sure wish I knew more about editing registry keys...
Since it lets me boot into safe mode and I can access the Administrator account, I have some hope. Thanks again!

Loritutor

Loritutor

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
[size="2"]Decided to bite the bullet and re-installed Windows XP. Whatever this was is no longer relevant. Hope it never happens again.
It's great to know you folks are here when our computers start to go ballistic. Have a great weekend, geek-people :)