Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scrambled boot screen

• Please log in to reply

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Hey guys, I've got computer troubles once again.

Whats happening is that sometimes when I boot up my computer the boot (motherboard logo) screen is scrambled. The only other symptom that I can tell is that about one second after I push the power button the fans in my computer (specifically the video card since its the loudest) slow down and get a bit quieter.

I had thought it was caused by a malfunctioning fan at first because the fan was making a horrible noise and the scrambling didn't seem to occur after I shut down and unplugged the fan.

But then when it happened again I thought it might be because the electric socket couldn't meet the power demands of my setup.

I'm pretty sure I ruled that out when I used an extension cord to plug the computer in across the room. Now its happening again and I'm really starting to get worried, as I have no idea what could be causing it now. The only thing that changed from when there was no problem to when it started was that I had moved from my dorm room back home

Does anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Defective graphics card is more likely the problem than anything else.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
I've posted about this in another forum and that has been mentioned there too. Which is a real bummer because I don't think its under warranty anymore. But I'll be able to confirm this just by stressing it right?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Yes but if your boot screen is scrambled it kinds of gives the game away that the card is now defective.
See if you can borrow a graphics card from somewhere and see if the symptoms clear up.

you_silly_mortals

you_silly_mortals

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts
Well I actually have 2 cards in there right now. The secondary one is for supplemental monitors. I'm going away this weekend so I wont be able to test until Monday but thanks for the tip. Cheers.