Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Aurora uninstaller spyware? (RESOLVED!)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Phishy

Phishy

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi, I used the Aurora uninstaller found on their website, but ~kat~ informed me that it might dump even more nasties on my PC. Any advice? Here is my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:32:21 PM, on 4/26/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sharedll\Mediadet.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~2\THUNDE~1.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\MOZILL~1\FIREFOX.EXE
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\WINWORD.EXE
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\IANBEI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.968\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.pandasoft...com/activescan/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_EMC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinPatrol] c:\PROGRA~1\WINPAT~1\winpatrol.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe
O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe
O4 - Startup: Trillian.lnk = C:\Program Files\Trillian\trillian.exe
O6 - HKCU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel present
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Euchre - http://download.game...nts/y/et1_x.cab
O16 - DPF: Yahoo! Word Racer - http://download.game...nts/y/wt1_x.cab
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe
O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe (file missing)

Thanks

Edited by Phishy, 26 April 2005 - 07:44 PM.

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I have to say it. I had three other experts look over your log, and showed them your original post on how you removed nail. and it IS in fact, gone from your system with the exception of one leftover line. However, we are still not comfortable enough with it to use it for a regular "fix". :tazz: Just something about using an uninstaller made by the ppl who put the malware on your system to begin with!

There are a few small things in your log we need to address, so here goes:

Go to start, run type "services.msc" with out the quotes find the service.

System Startup Service

Right click and stop it, make the start up type to disabled. When you have done that go into Hijackthis > open the misc tools section > delete an NT service and delete SvcProc or System Startup Service.

After that, reboot and run HJT to scan for a log. If you find this entry now, please place a check beside it and have HJT fix it, be sure NO other windows are open other than HJT:

O23 - Service: System Startup Service (SvcProc) - Unknown owner - C:\WINDOWS\svcproc.exe (file missing)

reboot and post a fresh log for review!

You also have a few things that we consider to be "optional" removals.

04 - HKLM\..\Run: [Disc Detector] C:\Program Files\Creative\ShareDLL\CtNotify.exe This is the worst type of System Tray software – a useless program which causes problems to end users.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN We always disable REGSHAVE and we have never experienced adverse effects from doing so. Thus our recommendation is that you disable this task.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] point32.exe most of the standard Intellipoint features have been integrated into the above operating systems, and the Intellipoint software does create [sometimes significant] problems under specific conditions.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DIGStream] C:\Program Files\DIGStream\digstream.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\WkDetect.exe We are against all programs which look for updates and/or update your software in the background, for one reason only : updates are sometimes worse than the present version !

O4 - Startup: PowerReg Scheduler.exe same as above

These are considered resource hogs, and are not necessary to have extra buttons for them on the taskbar unless you choose to:

O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_01\bin\npjpi150_01.dll

If you would like to remove any of these, let me know which ones, and I will guide you through uninstalling/removing them!!

Phishy

Phishy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, here is the new and improved log. Looks pretty good to me, unless I am missing something obvious. Let me know what you think.

Scan saved at 10:28:04 PM, on 4/26/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Creative\Sharedll\Mediadet.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\WinRAR\WinRAR.exe
C:\DOCUME~1\IANBEI~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX00.890\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.pandasoft...com/activescan/
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CTStartup] C:\Program Files\Creative\Splash Screen\CTEaxSpl.EXE /run
O16 - DPF: {9A9307A0-7DA4-4DAF-B042-5009F29E09E1} (ActiveScan Installer Class) - http://www.pandasoft.../as5/asinst.cab
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: LexBce Server (LexBceS) - Lexmark International, Inc. - C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
O23 - Service: PACSPTISVR - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\PACSPTISVR.exe
O23 - Service: Sony SPTI Service (SPTISRV) - Sony Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sony Shared\AVLib\SPTISRV.exe

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
your log looks amazing now! Thanks for posting it for us to look at and analyze!! Let's keep you that way, ok?? :tazz:

Congratulations! ;) Your log is clean! ;)

The following is a list of tools and utilities that I like to suggest to people. This list is full of great tools and utilities to help you understand how you got infected and how to keep from getting infected again.
  • SpywareBlaster - Great prevention tool to keep nasties from installing on your system.
  • SpywareGuard - Works as a Spyware "Shield" to protect your computer from getting malware in the first place.
  • IE-SpyAd - puts over 5000 sites in your restricted zone so you'll be protected when you visit innocent-looking sites that aren't actually innocent at all.

• Google Toolbar - Free google toolbar that allows you to use the powerful Google search engine from the bar, but also blocks pop up windows.
To find out more information about how you got infected in the first place and some great guidelines to follow to prevent future infections you can read this article by Tony Klein

Phishy

Phishy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for helping my computer achieve the karmic enlightenment it has been seeking. :tazz:

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
Hey Phishy. Something was just pointed out to me, and we want to check it out. If you would, humor us a little more??!! We really appreciate it.

First of all, do you have WinRar installed? And did you install it yourself??

Secondly....please create a new folder for HJT such as C:\HJT and cut and paste your HJT executable there. After you have done this, I want you to do the following:

Please download CleanUp! and run it to remove any leftover remnants of infection. Click the CleanUp button, and let it scan and select any files it needs to remove. Once it is done, exit the program.

After that, post me another log, would you??

Phishy

Phishy

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I was actually running HJT out of a .rar file (please don't ask why, I have no good reason). I installed WinRar myself, so it wasn't maliciously placed or tampered with. Here is the logfile from HJT in an actual extracted directory. I'm pretty sure that there is no change to it, but feel free to give it a look over.

Scan saved at 11:39:17 PM, on 4/26/2005

Running processes:
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\hjt\HijackThis.exe

Edited by Phishy, 26 April 2005 - 09:46 PM.

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
I was just coming here to tell you that's why that Temp directory looked so funny!! Excellent!! You really did *NAIL* this infection!!! Kudos to you, and your girlfriend! :tazz:

I am closing this topic as it has been resolved!