Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fan's in HP Pavilion.

• Please log in to reply

Annie_2

Annie_2

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I have a HP laptop Pavilion zv6000 windows xp home edition.

I have used compressed air to clean thru the air vents, but the fans are not workin as good as before and I was wonderin how to check them to see if they need replaced, and how do i go about replacin the fans? Is there a diagram that shows you how to take a laptop apart?

how do I find out what the temps are?

Thanks for lookin.

Annie 2

Advertisements

GotTeeth

GotTeeth

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I would definitely say no to the compressed air canisters for cleaning components, because air contains moisture you're basically spraying tiny particles of water which can lead to shortcuts later, vacuum cleaners are also a big no due to static electricity. If you -really- want to clean it use alcohol with distilled water (50/50 mixture.) Using compressed air isn't really harmful unless you're really unlucky, but for durability I would be against it. You might have damaged the fan's bearings by blowing into it.

Remember that fans can slow down depending on CPU load, it's mostly a feature on newer motherboards (Intel EIST for example) but I'm just exploring every possibility.

As for a reasonably reliable temperature reader, have a go with Everest

There are a number of ways you can replace components, first check with your warranty if it's still valid. If not, just carry it with you to any random PC hardware store, I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Edited by GotTeeth, 16 May 2008 - 12:11 AM.

Annie_2

Annie_2

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the info. i will see what happens.

Annie 2