Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

old hard drive->new hard drive

• Please log in to reply

tangerinecouch

tangerinecouch

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I recently bought a new laptop. My last one finally went beyond fixing, so I saved the hard drive and got rid of it. I got a device that would hook it up to my new computer via firewire, a firewire port express card, and a firewire, but when I plug everything in, my computer won't recognize that anything's plugged into it. My computer now is running on Vista and the old drive is XP, so I figure that has something to do with it. Is there any way to fix this without spending too much more money?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You still need to install firewire drivers for your hardware.

SRX660

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
I've noticed that some hardware makers don't include a driver disk any more, they just give you a link to their website where the drivers are located. The driver disk takes up more room than the actual hardware does for a lot of items.