Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Messenger crashing

• Please log in to reply

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Looks like the delay still persists after booting in Selective Startup Mode.

I tried defragmenting back then, but it froze my computer at 4%~.

I am running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenting now.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go ahead and undo the changes you made in msconfig to boot in Selective Startup mode and reboot your computer.

After rebooting, another thing you can try after the Defragmenting is complete is the following:

Please right click this LINK, choose SAVE LINK AS or SAVE TARGET AS, and save it somewhere on your computer where you will remember where it is located. Then find the file on your computer and double-click it to run it. Click YES to the warning: Are you sure you want to add the information in FILE LOCATION HERE\wia.reg to the registry? Then reboot your computer and try opening My Computer again and see if the delay persists.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 08:06 AM.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello, I am running Disk Cleanup right now and I got a notice which says:

Windows File Protection

Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability, Windows must restore the original verions of these files.

Insert your Windows XP Professional CD-ROM now.

and when I click More Information it says

Possible reasons for this problem:
- You have inserted the wrong CD. (i.e., a different Windows product CD than the version installed)
- The CD-ROM drive in your system is not functioning.

There is no CD in the drive.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Do you have the XP installation CD? If you do, put it in and then go to START-->RUN and type sfc /scannow (Notice the space between sfc and /scannow) and click OK. This will run a check of your Window operating system files and replace any that are missing and/or corrupt. Once the Blue bar goes away, reboot your computer and continue on with the steps I mentioned earlier.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Yeah I do have the CD, I'm doing it right now

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I have to get ready for work now and then go to work so if I don't reply to this topic for awhile that is why. I will check in when I can at work and see how things are going.

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 05:51 AM.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, if you could help with this thing quickly..

I'm running the scan now, but Windows File Protection keeps asking for Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 CD.

"Files that are required for Windows to run properly must be copied to the DLL Cache."

But I never had the CD of the SP2, as I got it from a windows update.

Edit: Seems like the delay when opening MY COMPUTER is now gone. :)
But I couldn't finish the scan because of that error.

Edited by Vesku, 28 May 2008 - 06:07 AM.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Seems like my video drivers have been uninstalled, I have no idea why, but it is using the generic video driver atm.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Glad to hear that the delay is gone. Let me know how things are going after you get the Video Drivers reinstalled and we can go from there.

As for the error when doing SFC, you can try and getting an XP Pro SP2 cd from a friend/family member, or you can try and create your own with your original XP Pro disk by following the steps in THIS link.

Now I really have to leave for work. :)

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 06:25 AM.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I installed the new drivers and they are working just fine.

I also found a SP2 disc from my shelf, I should really clean up the shelf more often :)
It was burned to a CD just like how the page suggested.
So I put it in and I ran the scan, and it finished.

Now I'm defragmenting.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Good to hear! :) Let me know how the degragmenting goes and how the computer is acting afterwards and we can get started with re-installing the programs that were having problems one-by-one.

Fenor

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

Edit: Seems like the delay when opening MY COMPUTER is now gone. :)
But I couldn't finish the scan because of that error.

Did you download and run the wia.reg file I asked you to download earlier? And did the delay seem to disappear after 'merging' it and rebooting? I'm just curious as it's a new fix I was trying for your situation and wanted to know if it was the cause or not of the delay going away. :)

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
No I didn't, I didn't get a chance to do it yet as I am on the internet from my second computer, with the network cable unplugged on the computer with the problems.

Maybe the delay was caused by the (very old) video drivers since after they were gone the delay stopped.
And now with the new ones the delay doesn't appear when opening MY COMPUTER, nor when opening WinRAR.

Vesku

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
That very well could be the case. You can hold off and not download that file since it appears not to be needed anymore.

Go ahead and start reinstalling the problem programs one-by-one and see how they work after the defragmenting is complete.

Edited by Fenor, 28 May 2008 - 08:19 AM.

Vesku

Vesku

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Still defragmenting, I'll start installing them after it is done.