Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Call of Duty 4 BSOD crash HELP!

• Please log in to reply

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Dr Hfuhruhurr

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey there,
basically, really need some help with COD4
so heres the problem
I can load the game fine, and im playing and all's well (this is on multiplayer), but without warning the game just freezes , then after
about 10 seconds it'll go to a blue screen and i'll have to manually reboot the computer.
and it does this every single time - i can always play for like 5-15 mins before it crashes

the blue screen that comes up says:

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR

Stop 0x0000007A

portcls.sys

i've googled this stuff and it seems to be a problem with my sound adaptor, which is realtek HD Audio Output (onboard I think)
i've downloaded what i think are the latest drivers for it but it hasn't worked.

My System Specs are :
Running XP
Dual Core Intel processor 6300 @1.86Ghz each
1 Gb of ram
radeon x1950 pro (latest drivers installed)

Btw, the game runs smoothly at pretty much highest settings on my comp, but i dont have it quite that high

any ideas?

Edited by Dr Hfuhruhurr, 17 May 2008 - 01:09 PM.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Sounds like your system is having a heat issue. Have you checked to make sure all of your fans are working and spin freely? Recommend taking some canned air and blowing out the fans and heat sinks.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

Dr Hfuhruhurr

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks,

the fan was working but it was rubbish so i removed the outer casing to ventilate it
and cod4 ran for 4 hours with no crash

:)

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Good you got it working again but be cautious, my freind had this same issue and it ended up burning through his motherboard compleltey

It might be an idea to get a new fan system (or watercooled one)

SpuD