Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Planning it out...(list posted)

• Please log in to reply

Cudaman

Cudaman

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Planning my first build. (I'll try and make this short and to the point)
Approx. $1300.00 to spend. (little more, little less)
The only thing I have bought so far that I've made any concrete choice on is the Antec nine hundred case. Love it.
I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse already. This is just for the tower itself.
Computer will be for all around general applications with a focus on gaming, video and photo editing and some music.
I'm not what you would call a "Hardcore" gamer, but I would like a system that is a little better than average. (I don't go to LAN parties.....lol)
I'm close to making my final choices on components. In order to do so, I need to clarify 3 issues.
Overclocking..............Do I need to do it??
To RAID or not to RAID on home system.......ie. RAID 0
SLI vs a high end single card.
I think I would like to go with Windows Vista 64 Bit Home as my OS
Take note that my old computer is almost 9 years old with a then cutting edge AMD K6-3 with 3D-now chip :) , so ANYTHING I build today is going to be a million times better.
Xeren had a real good list on his "Best gaming computer for $1300.00" thread, but his newegg wishlist has changed. I have a copy of the original at home.
Like the title says, I'm still in the planning stages. This is not the time to rush things. I want to make sure I consider all of my options. I've learned alot since I've been lurking on this board. Lots of really great advice and info. I want my first build to be awesome.
Thanks in advance :) :)
Greg

Edited by Cudaman, 20 May 2008 - 05:20 AM.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Well, overclocking is basically pushing your processor to run better than what it was designed to. However, overclocking can shorten the life of the processor and also voids your warranty. Its a bit complicated and I suggest that overclocking should be done if you really know what you're doing (do a lot of reading and research). If something wrong happens, you're not just risking your processor because sometimes RAM and motherboard will be affected as well (manufacturers do not cover, in their warranty, if your hardware breaks from overclocking). So keep in mind that there are risks and you might end up breaking your hardware.

For SLI, since you're not a hardcore gamer, I'd suggest just going with a high-end card. SLI is expensive (getting a motherboard that supports SLI costs around $200 compared to a ~$100 motherboard that only supports one card) and the performance gain is so minimal that its not worth the price you pay for it (~20% increase in performance for the price of two cards). Also, SLI would work better if you're SLI'ing two high-end cards. What kind of games do you play? There's 8800GT, 8800GTS, 9800GTX and 9800GX2 (GX2 being the most powerful card) and you should decide which one to get based on the games you play.

RAID would probably not benefit you unless you have very important files that needs to be backed-up like that. I would suggest just getting a external harddrive for back-up. Also I have heard from someone that there are risk with having a RAID like Data Loss after a RAID rebuild.

I suggest going with a Vista 64-Bit Home Premium because the Home Basic does not do anything worth the money and Ultimate is just too expensive for the extra features you get. I posted a link at Xeren's thread for OS comparison.

Hope that helps,
Kamille

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes, thank you. That does help.
So in short:
1) Overclocking = pushing CPU beyond design specs, bye bye warrenty, and possible callateral component damage. (for my first build, I'll think I'll pass)
2)SLI = 20% performance gain for 100% increased cost. (same comment as above)
3)RAID........actualy thinking of RAID 0 for performance and not really file back up. I agree external hard drive for file backup is the way to go. I would think the KISS rule applies here. Keep It Simple Stupid. Again, first build, I think I'll stick with one hard drive, maybe a nice 750 GB instead of two smaller drives in RAID 0. (.....I'm a noob.....)
I'll try to get my list together over the weekend and post next week.
Other input is still welcome......
Greg

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
if you're gonna be playing games and stuff on there make sure that you check if they are 64-bit compatible, i've heard that some don't like having 64 bits

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, So, here's my component list...........
Please feel free to comment. All suggestions are welcome.
List can also be seen here... https://secure.neweg....asp?ID=7901432

Update Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: Nine Hundred
Item #: N82E16811129021

Return Policy: Standard Return Policy

In Stock
$139.99 -$20.00 Instant $119.99

Update EVGA 123-YW-E175-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 750i FTW SLI ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: 123-YW-E175-A1
Item #: N82E16813188026

Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
$199.99 -$10.00 Instant $189.99

Update BFG Tech BFGE98512GTXE GeForce 9800 GTX(G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Model #: BFGE98512GTXE
Item #: N82E16814143129

Return Policy: Limited Non-Refundable 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$329.99 -$40.00 Instant $289.99

Update CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply - Retail
Model #: CMPSU-750TX
Item #: N82E16817139006

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$179.99 -$50.00 Instant $129.99

Update Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor Model BX80562Q6600 - Retail
Model #: BX80562Q6600
Item #: N82E16819115017

Return Policy: Processors (CPUs) Return Policy

In Stock
$219.99 $219.99

Update OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2RPR800C44GK - Retail
Model #: OCZ2RPR800C44GK
Item #: N82E16820227267

Return Policy: Memory (Modules, USB) Return Policy

In Stock
Mail-in Rebate
$114.99 -$5.00 Instant $109.99

Update SAMSUNG Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: HD753LJ
Item #: N82E16822152100

Return Policy: Limited 30-Day Return Policy

In Stock
$139.99 $139.99

Update LITE-ON 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model DH-20A4P-04 - OEM
Model #: DH-20A4P-04
Item #: N82E16827106228

In Stock
$23.99 $23.99

Update Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
Model #: 66I-01939
Item #: N82E16832116488

Return Policy: Software Return Policy

In Stock
$109.99 -$10.00 Instant $99.99

Update XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail
Model #: HDT-S1283
Item #: N82E16835233003

In Stock
$36.99 $36.99

TOTAL IS $1361.00 :)

Greg

Edited by Cudaman, 20 May 2008 - 05:11 AM.

sandman01086

sandman01086

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
can i have your pc?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Your list looks very good :)
However, I'd change the DVD-drive to this Samsung one because the one you picked is IDE (bigger cable, just clutter inside the case).
For the video card, this is not a big deal but both EVGA and XFX has better warranty than BFG (if you are going to mod your video card). XFX has the best one because they offer a "Double Lifetime Warranty," that means if you sell it, the buyer will get a lifetime warranty too (so this card would have a higher reseller value).

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 20 May 2008 - 10:11 AM.

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks Kamille,
I will make the change to the Samsung dvd drive.
I really don't anticipate doing anything with the video card, but what would you suggest a comparable board woud be in an EVGA or an XFX?
Also, I chose the OEM version of Windows Vista home Premium 64 bit.(its a little cheaper) I've heard there's not as much support with this version as with the "regular" (non OEM) version. I've installed software before, but I'm no expert. If I run into trouble, will I be wishing I got the "regular" version instead of OEM?
Once I clear up these final issues, it will be time to order and build............ :) :) :) WOOOHOOO, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!
Thanks again for the advice.......
Greg

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Thanks Kamille,
I will make the change to the Samsung dvd drive.
I really don't anticipate doing anything with the video card, but what would you suggest a comparable board woud be in an EVGA or an XFX?
Also, I chose the OEM version of Windows Vista home Premium 64 bit.(its a little cheaper) I've heard there's not as much support with this version as with the "regular" (non OEM) version. I've installed software before, but I'm no expert. If I run into trouble, will I be wishing I got the "regular" version instead of OEM?
Once I clear up these final issues, it will be time to order and build............ :) :) :) WOOOHOOO, this is AWESOME!!!!!!!
Thanks again for the advice.......
Greg

The motherboard you have picked out is great, no need to change it. BFG video card should be good enough since you're not modding anyways (BFG offers Lifetime warranty), I also heard they're customer support is great.

There might be a time where you have a hardware and it does not have a 64-bit driver and you'll end up returning that hardware as it would not work without a driver. I think that Vista 64-bit has more support than XP 64-bit. I suggest going through all the hardware you have selected and go to their manufacturer site and see if they offer 64-bit drivers (if it needs a driver). I think from you're list, that you should be okay unless you're going to use a wireless NIC.

I don't know much about software (if you would have a problem with a 64-bit OS), wait for someone else to comment on that.

If you ever pick a 32-bit OS though, you'll only be able to see ~3.5GB of the 4GB you have selected.

Kamille

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Also......going to change PSU to SLI rated OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.co.....bPower+Supply

It'a about the same price but will be future capable with the SLI motherboard and SLI vid card for future upgrades..............maybe.... :)

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Also......going to change PSU to SLI rated OCZ GameXStream 700W Power Supply

http://www.newegg.co.....bPower+Supply

It'a about the same price but will be future capable with the SLI motherboard and SLI vid card for future upgrades..............maybe.... :)

I would stick with your original choice as Corsair is a much better brand than OCZ GameXStream.
This power supply can definitely handle SLI.
Here's a review that you can read up.
Corsair 750W
OCZ GameXStream

Kamille

Cudaman

Cudaman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Wow, those are both great reads.......Thank you!!!! :)