Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply

cigos

cigos

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Good Evening,
I am trying to install Windows Defender but the Wizard tells me that Microsoft Windows Onecare Live has been found and must be uninstalled first. I did have Onecare at one time but I uninstalled it, or so I thought! I have searched as best I can but cannot find Onecare.
Could it be hiding in my System Restore, or in a back-up file. If it is, what do I do to get at it? If it is not considered likely where can I go from here?

I would appreciate any advice. Regards, Cigos

Advertisements

XBoy

XBoy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Sometimes windoes uninstall utility doesn´t show all the programs or components installed on your system, I would recommen you using a third party uninstaller (Glary Utilities is my favourite). If you find it, uninstall it. Also try registry repairing tool that comes bundled with Glary package, there may exist some obsolete registry entries and then try installing Windows Defender again.

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Thanks Xboy,
The Glary Utility showed 4 files relating to OneCare but was unable to install them. I did a registry repair but that did not do the trick, unfortunately.

I did another search and found a back-up Disc that I had made with OneCare when I had temporarily installed the OneCare program. It is the only reference I have been able to find. When I inserted the back-up disc I was urged to reinstall OneCare if I wished to use the back-up.

I could not elicit from the Glary Utility where the 4 files mentioned are actually situated in my system. Am I missing something here?

Any further assistance would be most welcome. Cigos

cigos

cigos

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
Hello Xboy,
Sorry. The message should have read, '.....could not uninstall them.'

Cigos