Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System Configuration Utility

• Please log in to reply

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to remove items from my startup menu using MSCONFIG. I must have done something wrong and now I get a warning box that the system utility is either in the Diagnostic mode or selective mode. I try to put it in Normal mode, but when I restart computer it goes back to Selective mode. It also says I cannot change modes uless I log in as system administrator. Using System restore would solve my problem, but there are no dates to restore to.

I am using Windows XP.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Sounds like you did it correctly.
In the lower left of the pop up is a box to check that says "do not show this again".
If you check the box you will be able to start your computer with out this pop up.
You made changes with MSconfig, so you are using selective mode.
This is normal after you make changes with MSconfig.
You do have to be a system administrator to make changes to your system.

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The little box isn't the problem. When I restart computer, it reverts to Selective mode, but the "load Startup Items is grayed out. Even when I check this box, hit apply and then restart it does same thing. In the meantime, I have no access to internet, shows no printers and won't let me use system restore. Who is system administrator?

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
System administrator is the administrator user account.
If you made the changes to start with you must be logged on as administrator.
After you start the computer, go back in to MSconfig and check the box in the lower right that says "Enable all".
This should undo the changes that you made.

BillMCook

BillMCook

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Everything is enabled. I am the only user of my computer. How do I sign in as system administrator? Every time I restart computer it goes to the Selective mode with "Load Startup Items" grayed out. Even when I check this box and hit apply, it tells me to restart computer and then we are back to same issue. Do you know a way for you to have remote access to my computer?