Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win 32 [RESOLVED]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi again Debs :) Well your logs now look good - so I will give my clean spiel and then run a spring clean to see if that helps. A question, do you get the same problem if you disable IE7 pro ?

Now the best part of the day ----- Your log now appears clean :)

Double click OTScanit once again and you should see a CleanUp! button, press that button, you may get prompted by your firewall that OTScanit wants to contact the internet, allow this, a cleanup.txt will be downloaded, a message dialog will ask you if you want to proceed with the cleanup process, click Yes. This will delete all the tools you have downloaded plus itself

Now to get you off to a good start we will re-set your restore points so that all the bad stuff is gone for good. Then if you need to restore at some stage you will be clean. There are several ways to reset your your restore point but this is my method:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > System Restore.
2. On the dialogue box that appears select Create a Restore Point
3. Click NEXT
4. Enter a name e.g. Clean
5. Click CREATE

You now have a clean restore point, to get rid of the bad ones:

1. Select Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Cleanup.
2. In the Drop down box that appears select your main drive e.g. C
3. Click OK
4. The System will do some calculation and the display a dialogue box with TABS
5. Select the More Options Tab.
6. At the bottom will be a system restore box with a CLEANUP button click this
7. Accept the Warning and select OK again, the program will close and you are done

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free program: It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.

To keep your operating system up to date visit

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Keep safe :)

Spring clean time :)

Download, install and run Tuneup Utilities 2008

Select Free up disk space

Select Unneccesary files and backups then clean

Select Maintain Windows

Run Drive Defrag

Run Tune Up registry clean up

Then run Reg Defrag, the screen will lose colour during the process which can take a few minutes and then needs a reboot

Those will have cleared the drive of obsolete software errors

These are suggestions for making the most of the free trial

Select Increase performance

Run the internet Optimiser to accelerate downloads, select the speed just above your actual connection speed, this requires a reboot.

After the reboot, click Increase performance then system optimizer to run system advisor

Advertisements

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Essexboy, I just finished everything but spring cleaning. LOL. I don't know how to disable IEPro. If it isn't a bug why would it all of a sudden start kicking me out. I have had Pro for a little while and have used POGO for 2 yrs.? Thank You for all the help. Deb

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
The reason I asked is that I can - at the moment - see no reason for you to be kicked out. So it is a matter of trying to find out what is causing it by testing certain elements :)

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
:) I figured out how to disable IE7Pro and it didn't help any. I don't understand how all the other sites are working fine except the one. :) I could just kiss you for fixing the other things for me.:) Thank you!!!!!!

Edited by ddtolbert, 19 May 2008 - 05:10 PM.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets disable a couple of activex controls in case they are blocking you (...they will be re-installed later if you need them )

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the boxes next to all the entries listed below.

O16 - DPF: {DBA230D1-8467-4e69-987E-5FAE815A3B45} -
O16 - DPF: {CEDDF50D-9FA7-41A8-BCD0-6350D1ED2306} (SecurityManager Class) - https://care.alltel....aller_3-0-0.cab

Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked. Close HiJackThis.

Reboot and see if that makes a difference

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
That didn't help either. It is freezing up when I open a new window now. Which it started that last nite. I have to log off and log back on to unfreeze it. All the cleaning we did helped it out a lot. You have taught me a lot trying to clean this up. :) Thanks so much. Now what is left to try now. LOL.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Question :) How long have you had Comodo ?

Have you installed any new programmes recently ?

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have had it for over a yr. But now that you mention it. Right before all this happened its main files just stopped working and I had to download it again. It is a little different than the other but I just assumed it was upgrades.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
OK lets try this then can you disable the guard element and just leave the firewall part running. I will have a look at comodo site to see how to do it if you don't know :)

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I don't know how to.

Advertisements

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Would that be the security and defense level?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
I believe so - I am looking at the destructions now

ddtolbert

ddtolbert

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Essexboy, I went thru and deleted spyware blaster and commodo. Those were the 2 things I had just had to reload because for some reason the programs wouldn't work because of some files missing. Don't understand that. But anyway I got rid of commodo and got zonealarm. That is what I use to use. I had to get rid of it when I used McAfee because they wouldn't work together for me. But nothing I do will let me play the games. I can open new windows (like pop up blockers) anywhere else. And for it to start when I got the virus's is to much of a coincidence. Wouldn't you think so? I am sorry I am taking up so much of your time. I do so appreciate it. Your a blessing to me. :) :) :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi Debs been doing a little rooting around and I noticed that you have no Active-x elements for Pogo (...Unusual) And one possible solution is that your Java is corrupted so...................

Your Java is out of date. Older versions have vulnerabilities that malicious sites can use to infect your system. Please follow these steps to remove older version Java components and update:
  • Download the latest version of Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6 and save it to your desktop.
  • Scroll down to where it says "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6 Update 6...allows end-users to run Java applications".
  • Click the "Download" button to the right.
  • Read the License Agreement and then check the box that says: "Accept License Agreement". The page will refresh.
  • Click on the link to download Windows Offline Installation and save the file to your desktop.
  • Close any programs you may have running - especially your web browser.
  • Go to Start > Settings > Control Panel, double-click on Add/Remove Programs and remove all older versions of Java.
  • Check (highlight) any item with Java Runtime Environment (JRE or J2SE) in the name.
  • Click the Remove or Change/Remove button.
  • Repeat as many times as necessary to remove each Java versions.
  • Reboot your computer once all Java components are removed.
  • Then from your desktop double-click on jre-6u6-windows-i586-p.exe to install the newest version.

Let me know how that goes, we may then have to rummage around IE7 addon controlls later :)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.